Laxey Beach Cafe

b4mbi

Isn't this getting into the realms of the Villa Colonnade cafe thing taking over the walkway with their seats, as with other places along Strand Street ad Castle Street.

This Laxey Shelter is not quite the same thing but it is lost as a public shelter once the cafe assuming any sort of priority in there.

29 minutes ago, Busby said:

I (think?) what you will actually find is that the woman who runs the cafe in question is a commissioner herself (correct) but only for the purpose of furthering her own business (source? - as she always excludes herself from parts of meetings where the cafe is discussed). She is a nasty woman who uses her minions to spread false rumours. (I've been a customer (not a friend) for more years than I can remember, and always found her and her staff to be very friendly)

The public shelter is owned by the commissioners (correct) and the cafe have aggressively and rudely told people to get out and move on when sitting inside the shelter with other rival’s products (not in my experience). There are signs up saying it's a public shelter and the cafe have at their own expense decorated it and installed lighting and a new floor.

the cafe asking people to move out of a public shelter when they had no right to ask so was the straw which broke the camels back. (again, not my experience. On one occasion there were people kicking a ball in there while people were eating but the cafe owners didn't intervene, which I thought showed exceptional patience)

DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE LIES!! (Your lies?)

Minion Number 1 out of the woodwork it seems. 

All my statements are based on facts. It is well known that she is a spiteful woman who uses every tactic in the book to further her own business interests.

When the shed started at the end of the laxey prom she was awful. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

She's right but then the Commissioners don't help either. The place looks uncared for, like much of the Island. Weeds growing out of the gutters, bins full to overflowing, cracked paving stones and a lack of stuff like bunting and even Manx flags etc. It could be any small town in any part of the UK and yes, even in Cornwall !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Well, liability for one thing. If a customer trips, breaks themselves / possessions in the area outside the cafe who is liable? With a contract over here, liability is part of the contract. So, I do think Laxey should regulate this but do it efficiently so there's minimum expense but being the IOM I doubt this'll happen.

You live in one of, if not the most regulated countries in the world. It's a nonsense to only do things that lawyers or insurance companies allow us to do - both are motivated by greed, let's hope most people have the wit not to take any notice. 

• Like 3

Perhaps the solution is to thank the cafe for their efforts up to now, ask that they remove their odds and ends whilst the lockers and showers are installed. Then discuss how the seating can be reinstated? 

2 hours ago, Busby said:

I (think?) what you will actually find is that the woman who runs the cafe in question is a commissioner herself

I don’t get this either which is why I won’t sign the petition as it just stinks a bit really. 

Perhaps the solution is to install the lockers and showers out of season rather than the height of the summer.

Are lockers and showers necessary anyway? There's only a few weeks in the year a decent number of people would be swimming - how likely is anything to get nicked if you left it on the beach? Is salt water really that bad for you? Couldn't they just put a pipe type shower on the beach like they do in Spain? Don't most people visit the area in cars (mobile lockers)?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Do people really trip over tables and think it’s someone else’s fault?

Or a loose flagstone, or someone's dog etc. There really is such a thing as liability insurance, I have it for my software. read your house insurance policy sometime and see just what it covers you for - usually a lot more than the house being torched by Fo Halloo.

I worked in a cafe one summer when I was a student. The boss had gone away on a week's holiday when a coach trip arrived and an oldish fella came in and tripped headlong over the doormat and broke his glasses. He wasn't a happy bunny and wanted to see the boss, I think suing was mentioned as was how much his specs had cost. A great panic ensued, the lady who was in charge while the boss was away was flapping around him and desperately trying to get in contact with the gaffer which she finally managed and explained the situation.

The boss spoke to the old fella and suggested that when he was getting his glasses fixed, he asked the optician to check his prescription while he was at it. No more was heard about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1