Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Society needs a large and largely content working class. 

Our governments obsession with wealth ignores this.

Sorry to keep harping on about John Webster and the MR Budget Special program, but he said exactly the same thing.

The 2% tax increase has spooked people (irrespective of whether you fall in the tax band and caught by it or not) and in the absence of finding an alternative to replace it, will remain despite the Good Doctor's assertion that it is only a temporary measure.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Sorry to keep harping on about John Webster and the MR Budget Special program, but he said exactly the same thing.

The 2% tax increase has spooked people (irrespective of whether you fall in the tax band and caught by it or not) and in the absence of finding an alternative to replace it, will remain despite the Good Doctor's assertion that it is only a temporary measure.  

I suspect it will become a Health and Social Care Levy in the next budget.

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I suspect it will become a Health and Social Care Levy in the next budget.

Whatever way you dress it up ……….. it’s a tax rise. Personally I think it will probably rise again, or another levy will be introduced as Allinson will look for excuses as not to increase taxes ……… and the proceeds will be ring fenced to non health related areas - like DoI etc. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think that H&SC Levy will be in addition to the 2% on tax, not a replacement.

If enough people say it will, then it will. If we let them think that this is what we expect then why wouldn't they give us just that?

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Whatever way you dress it up ……….. it’s a tax rise. Personally I think it will probably rise again, or another levy will be introduced as Allinson will look for excuses as not to increase taxes ……… and the proceeds will be ring fenced to non health related areas - like DoI etc. 

Ah, so we pay for all the services in a series of hypothecated taxes so that the plain old income tax can be spent solely on the government bureaucracy? Good plan.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Ah, so we pay for all the services in a series of hypothecated taxes so that the plain old income tax can be spent solely on the government bureaucracy? Good plan.

At present with the income tax rise, proceeds are supposedly ring fenced for Manx Care. I can see taxes rise, both income tax and other taxes or charges. Only time will tell whether Manx Care can do a good job with the extra money, or whether the begging bowl comes out with another request for funds? 

Edited by 2112

11 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

It will be a bit like the I think it was the £50.00 toilet tax on rates a temporary measure as I recall (it's a long time ago), anyway my £50.00 was £420.00 this year !

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

MR News if anybody can link to the whole article please 💐

Screenshot_20240425-211949_Facebook.jpg

Are the Govt / health sector posts really new positions or are they just filling the vacancies that they have had running on for years.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-3000-jobs-added-to-economy-since-september-2021/

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Are the Govt / health sector posts really new positions or are they just filling the vacancies that they have had running on for years.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-3000-jobs-added-to-economy-since-september-2021/

That's what I alluded to earlier in the thread. It's disingenuous politicking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

One of the stats that should be of concern is the drop in numbers for "insurance". Why?

s it simply that more of the operations are being automated or companies downsizing prior to an inevitable exit??

15 hours ago, woolley said:

If enough people say it will, then it will. If we let them think that this is what we expect then why wouldn't they give us just that?

Night always follows day with IOMG.... as ASITIS says, the toilet tax is a prime example. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

One of the stats that should be of concern is the drop in numbers for "insurance". Why?

s it simply that more of the operations are being automated or companies downsizing prior to an inevitable exit??

They're all merging together. Once they have onboarded the book of business there's no longer the requirement for as many staff to service it.