Katie Hopkins backlash..

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The next person to grossly misunderstand what "free speech" is has got nits.

Well, I'm fairly certain she's not here to organise a Nazi rally and some lynching, so she can think what she likes. 

There is a difference between free speech and incitement of violence or hate speech. 

Of course, in the unlikely event she does have a bit of a racist rant and arrange a reenactment of the Kristallnacht, then I will stand to be corrected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Hopkins promised to run around London naked with a sausage up her bottom if Sadiq Khan was elected.

That is probably why he got elected

• Haha 1

Katie Hopkins first showed up on TV in The Apprentice and then has carved out a career for herself in the media.  Most of the time she just runs her mouth but it has increasingly been more "far-right" and extreme.

My favourite Katie Hopkins moment was her on This Morning telling the world how she judges the class and behaviours of children based on their name.  She says that she does not like children's name related to geographical places before Phillip Schofield points out her own daughter is called India.  Which according to her is not a geographic related name!!  (Around the 5.50 mark in this)

The woman is an obnoxious gob for hire who makes a living by pushing controversial and extreme views to keep her in the public eye.  She is also an absolute hypocrite! 

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s effectively Douglas Councillors calling to cancel a show that is being performed at their own venue owned by Douglas Council. A true Devon Watson moment where the mouth seems to work much faster than his brain ever can. He’s more woke than Wokey McWoke winner of last years Mr Woke competition. 

Two councillors voicing their disapproval, not calling for cancellation.  They own the venue but lease it to the Legion. Should the Legion put every event past DBC for approval? 

I do not like her and wouldn't dream of attending any of her events, even if free.  But, I don't think it should be cancelled on that basis alone.  Perhaps an ill judgement by whoever booked her.  Did her military background justify the booking?  Would rather see someone like the 80s veteran, Simon wotsisname.  Far more to offer, IMV. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well, I'm fairly certain she's not here to organise a Nazi rally and some lynching, so she can think what she likes. 

There is a difference between free speech and incitement of violence or hate speech. 

Of course, in the unlikely event she does have a bit of a racist rant and arrange a reenactment of the Kristallnacht, then I will stand to be corrected. 

Stopping her performing at the Legion would not be a removal of free speech. Arresting her for speaking in public would.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:
33 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Free speech! As long as it's free speech that I agree with. 

That seems to be pretty much Devon Watsons entire repertoire. Everyone’s free to express themselves. Unless they say something I don’t like then they should be vilified by me for having the freedom to express themselves. They should also be free to perform but just not at the Legion which I forgot that we actually owned and which makes me look incredibly stupid because I’m a member of the body that owns it complaining about the fact that she’s been booked. 

Except of course if you read the newspaper article neither of the councillors quoted called for the event to be banned or Hopkins to be silenced.  But they're perfectly free to criticise her past speech and her views.  That's rather the point of free speech. 

Despite what some on here seem to think it doesn't mean: "I should be free to say what I want, but if anyone disagrees I'll go running to Mummy complaining that people have been mean to me".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don't think the Manx like being told who they can and can't/should and shouldn't listen to. Especially by upstarts.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She's an opinion machine who generates controversial opinions for money and attention. I suggest reacting to her appearance feeds her "career", which can't be going that well if she's playing the legion. 

Strange that this politician attacking how people use their free speech has drawn less criticism here despite the obvious hypocrisy -  https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/where-do-we-draw-the-line-between-criticism-and-toxicity/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1