Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, emesde said:

This looks similar to what Amazon shops were trying out in London.

Amazon recently announced that they are now abandoning this method of paying ,at least for the time being.

I think Amazon were using RFID.  Tesco aren’t.

Its the future and will do away with people fannying about at checkouts once and for all, be it manned or self service.

The length of time it takes some people to pay for their shopping is mind blowing especially when you want to just no in and pick something up and even the self service tills are clogged with people faffing about.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Its the future and will do away with people fannying about at checkouts once and for all, be it manned or self service.

The length of time it takes some people to pay for their shopping is mind blowing especially when you want to just no in and pick something up and even the self service tills are clogged with people faffing about.

I usually only pop into shops to grab what we "need", that can fit in my backpack (my wife usually does the "big" shop). My only gripe with the Victoria Road Tesco, is that there are only two "cash payment" self-service checkouts, and people use them with massive baskets of shopping, so I still end up waiting a bit.

3 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

No one is fannying or faffing about. Not everyone is as tech-savvy as you and won't be any time soon. Technology can disenfranchise large numbers of people, particularly the poor, the elderly or people with learning difficulties. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Did some family research some time ago and was delighted to find that an ancestor had been charged with assaulting someone with a piece of beef.  She was acquitted, but what an awesome charge!

Was it a tomahawk steak?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No one is fannying or faffing about. Not everyone is as tech-savvy as you and won't be any time soon. Technology can disenfranchise large numbers of people, particularly the poor, the elderly or people with learning difficulties. 

I wasn’t talking specifically about self checkout.

We have all seen them at the normal checkout.  Queue for five minutes then out all the items through.  Then rummage in the bottom of a hand bag for their bags, then start packing while everyone watches.

Then, once the have packed and sorted everything and a few minutes after the checkout person has told them the total, they start rummaging on the bag again for their purse to finally count out the exact money and root out some vouchers that aren’t even valid anymore, which then leads to a five minute debate.

I would be strongly in favour of fast and slow lanes, especially before and after the working day and during people’s lunch break. 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Shopping for misanthropes

"No thats bollocks" says crazydave before listing his hatred of people going about their lives having the temerity to hold up his super busy one.

Great.

Crazy Dave? No way! 😭 Who would have thought that?

• Haha 2

If Tesco have my card details and my clubcard details stored in their app which I scan when paying, plus a camera in my face at the self service till, surely it is t that hard to store my image and do some face recognition rather than having to have someone come over and confirm I am over 18?

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Shopping for misanthropes

"No thats bollocks" says crazydave before listing his hatred of people going about their lives having the temerity to hold up his super busy one.

Great.

I thought he was away, getting in his 300 flights a year.

• Haha 2

some checkout staff rattle through the items and you are stood at the end still bagging up half your shopping and they are then waiting for you to finish and pay. if the staff scanned at the pace people were bagging then there wouldn't be such a down time where they cashier is waiting and  the next punter is expecting to move on. ironically slower cashiers would help here.  a pet hate of mine is also when the cashier knows the punter and even after everything is bagged they start chatting and everything goes into slow motion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

some checkout staff rattle through the items and you are stood at the end still bagging up half your shopping etc

Self scanning as you go around the store is the way to go. Bag it up as you shop. It's dumb having to unpack everything onto a conveyor belt and then repack it again.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Self scanning as you go around the store is the way to go. Bag it up as you shop. It's dumb having to unpack everything onto a conveyor belt and then repack it again.

to be honest, i consider  self scanning and self checkout a shop lifters charter. and even if you're not which will be most people  you could make a genuine mistake and be branded a thief, it may not be a case of i got caught so i will play dumb and just pay and hope for better luck next time.  i have stuffed up myself in this regard twice , first time i went back in , got an identical item from the shelf , paid for it and then told them what happened. second time in the new store as it happens i had a magazine in the trolley stood between the back of the trolley and the first bag and didn't rediscover it until i was loading the car, dashed back in with said item to the fag/lottery section and explained myself there and paid up.   both times i consider i was ahead of the curve , but if i was stopped at the doors with a joint of beef i hadn't paid for i don't think i would get away with claiming i missed it.

5 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

If Tesco have my card details and my clubcard details stored in their app which I scan when paying, plus a camera in my face at the self service till, surely it is t that hard to store my image and do some face recognition rather than having to have someone come over and confirm I am over 18?

Reading your posts it's hard to believe you are over 18

3 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

New Ramsey Tesco express looks great. Unfortunately it’s stocked to be multiple the sales it’s capable of achieving.

more reduced to clear than normal sales. Will give it 18 months unless keeping as a loss maker

They have completely misread the market, I'll give it 18 months until there are only two or three outlets.