Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

15 minutes ago, finlo said:

They have completely misread the market, I'll give it 18 months until there are only two or three outlets.

How can they misread the market when they have Shoprite's books open before them? And when are you going to tell us what you "have to deal with from these idiots every day" so that we have some justification for the continual bile you post about Tesco. Do you work for them or for someone who provides a service to them?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

New Ramsey Tesco express looks great. Unfortunately it’s stocked to be multiple the sales it’s capable of achieving.

more reduced to clear than normal sales. Will give it 18 months unless keeping as a loss maker

There were plenty of people walking about complaining about the prices in there the other day, and the lack of proper checkout space.  Trying to unload a trolley and bag it appeared to be a nightmare for those who had one.

The pricing is very high on some items, but at least not as bad as WH Smith at the Sea Terminal who charges me £4.44 for a bottle of coke and a single bag of walkers crisps.  Thieving gits

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looked in on the Tesco cafe on Victoria Rd. It's not a Tesco cafe at all is it? Some kind of deli with proper coffee. I didn't bother. We have plenty of them already. I was looking forward to a cheap fry up not a minute bacon bap in sourdough.

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Looked in on the Tesco cafe on Victoria Rd. It's not a Tesco cafe at all is it? Some kind of deli with proper coffee. I didn't bother. We have plenty of them already. I was looking forward to a cheap fry up not a minute bacon bap in sourdough.

It seemed to me like nothing more than a Costa etc, pre-packed breakfast wraps and sandwiches they shove in an oven for 2mins to heat up.

You are right, it's not like a Tesco Cafe across that does a cheap fryup.

10 hours ago, woolley said:

How can they misread the market when they have Shoprite's books open before them? And when are you going to tell us what you "have to deal with from these idiots every day" so that we have some justification for the continual bile you post about Tesco. Do you work for them or for someone who provides a service to them?

The Shoprite books don’t tell you what the market is they tell you how Shoprite was performing. The market is defined by what customers want and how they shop . I think the point @finlois making is that across people shop regularly in supermarkets or online and they are happy to top up in convenience. It remains to be seen if this happens on the island a lot of people will have used what are now Tesco Express stores as their main shop particularly in Castletown . 

52 minutes ago, IOM said:

The Shoprite books don’t tell you what the market is they tell you how Shoprite was performing. The market is defined by what customers want and how they shop . I think the point @finlois making is that across people shop regularly in supermarkets or online and they are happy to top up in convenience. It remains to be seen if this happens on the island a lot of people will have used what are now Tesco Express stores as their main shop particularly in Castletown . 

Yes. But no one is going to be more than 12km/7.5miles from a superstore and 80%+ of the population will less than 3 miles or 5km. Of those who used 4 out of the 5 Shoprite stores that are to be express branded the nearest superstore will be less than 2km/1.25miles.

That leaves Castletown. 

So, for Castletown only, the questions that are relevant are

1. will the range of food lines be greater or fewer than carried by Shoprite

2. will the quality be better or worse than Shoprite

3. will the price of a shopping basket of identical or equivalent products be more or less than it was when Shoprite operated.

That it’s an express isn’t relevant. Shoprite didn’t carry their full range of lines in Castletown, Michael Street, Village Walk, Winerite or St Paul’s Sq..

Even in UK not every superstore carries the same number of lines. It depends on floor space and what sells well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes. But no one is going to be more than 12km/7.5miles from a superstore and 80%+ of the population will less than 3 miles or 5km. Of those who used 4 out of the 5 Shoprite stores that are to be express branded the nearest superstore will be less than 2km/1.25miles.

That leaves Castletown. 

So, for Castletown only, the questions that are relevant are

1. will the range of food lines be greater or fewer than carried by Shoprite

2. will the quality be better or worse than Shoprite

3. will the price of a shopping basket of identical or equivalent products be more or less than it was when Shoprite operated.

That it’s an express isn’t relevant. Shoprite didn’t carry their full range of lines in Castletown, Michael Street, Village Walk, Winerite or St Paul’s Sq..

Even in UK not every superstore carries the same number of lines. It depends on floor space and what sells well.

You may well be right about the relative distance people are away from a supermarket and compared to across in some areas ( e.g Scotland , Cumbria , Wales )it is likely to be a lot lower . But that’s not the point it’s about what people are used to in the Isle of Man ( the “market “) . And if you take your point (3) I have a suspicion if you took a basket of products at the old Shoprite and compared it to Tesco Express you might be surprised by what you find . Clearly I don’t have the evidence or facts to support that but some of the pricing variances I see in the Express stores are significant. However what I do know as fact is there are no budget options in Express stores and they will affect the basket price too . 

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

You may well be right about the relative distance people are away from a supermarket and compared to across in some areas ( e.g Scotland , Cumbria , Wales )it is likely to be a lot lower . But that’s not the point it’s about what people are used to in the Isle of Man ( the “market “) . And if you take your point (3) I have a suspicion if you took a basket of products at the old Shoprite and compared it to Tesco Express you might be surprised by what you find . Clearly I don’t have the evidence or facts to support that but some of the pricing variances I see in the Express stores are significant. However what I do know as fact is there are no budget options in Express stores and they will affect the basket price too . 

what budget options did shoprite have as they didn't have their own brand ?

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

it's like costa with less choice but ok all the same.

Yes, it's OK, but I wouldn't go unless I was also shopping.   They do a nice scone and toasted teacake, however.

• Like 1