Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

9 hours ago, woolley said:

In other news, some of the Aldi price matches are no longer, er, Aldi price matches, despite claiming to be.

To be fair sometimes it can be an administrative error . It remains to be seen if they keep Aldi price match here given there is currently no Aldi it’s certainly one to watch . 

12 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

It probably never occurred to them that they would need planning for a simple sign.

Why would it?  Our planning is so stupid.

You need to apply for that high takes up officers time, and at the same time there is hundreds of thousands of pounds of potential economic activity stuck in planning!

It's required in UK, so not sure why Tesco thought IOM would be different, if indeed they did/do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's required in UK, so not sure why Tesco thought IOM would be different, if indeed they did/do.

It may be one of those where regulations differ a bit between UK and here and Tesco organised everything from head office without checking.  The Castletown shop's in a conservation area, so regulation on things like signage will be tighter - as it is in the UK - but Tesco may have missed that.  The application is here:

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=24%2F00269%2FD

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Not being gratuitously abusive isn’t wokery - it’s just good manners.

Even then, one has to be careful with the good manners, I once opened a door for a militant lesbian who said "how dare you!" Thought I was gonna get thumped! 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Even then, one has to be careful with the good manners, I once opened a door for a militant lesbian who said "how dare you!" Thought I was gonna get thumped! 

Was it a sandwich shop?

Everyone know that Lesbians make the best sandwiches. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, quilp said:

It must have been your condescending smile 😀😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Was it a sandwich shop?

Everyone know that Lesbians make the best sandwiches. 

I had a terrible incident at Tesco yesterday morning.

Mrs NoTailT asked me to pick up her cigarettes whilst I was there.

She kept reminding me "20 L&B" and I was getting it confused with B&H, so she told me to remember it as Lesbians & Bisexuals.

The poor young girl working on the counter at Vic Rd was awfully bemused and concerned when I - rather flustered - asked her for 20 lesbians and bisexuals.

• Haha 2

On 5/2/2024 at 8:50 PM, Anthony Ingham said:

Are you talking about Tesco?  The form that have had a number of planning applications refused locally when trying to expand?

9 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I think you need a dictionary !!

Yes,they come in useful when one confuses form with firm. Ask your wife,she'll tell you.

• Haha 1