Eastern Recycling Jobsworths

John Wright

Had to replace a small fridge I keep in my en-suite for medicines and cold water and  ( soft ) drinks.

I think I paid £50 for it 10+ years ago. Replacement cost £90.

Willing to pay the £36 fee.

Would they take it? No. Why? It is lockable, therefore it must be commercial. They don’t take commercial waste.

It’s a cube, 15”x15”x15”.

Is it any wonder people fly tip.

Asked if allowed to remove door. No!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Had to replace a small fridge I keep in my en-suite for medicines and cold water and  ( soft ) drinks.

Would they take it? No. Why? It is lockable, therefore it must be commercial. They don’t take commercial waste.

I think everyone has had a confrontation with them at some point.

I once wasn't let in because I was in a Hire Van full of moving house rubbish and they claimed it was therefore commercial.  I ended up going to the Western one at St Johns and had no probs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I think everyone has had a confrontation with them at some point.

I once wasn't let in because I was in a Hire Van full of moving house rubbish and they claimed it was therefore commercial.  I ended up going to the Western one at St Johns and had no probs. 

Similar here. Wanted to dispose of some contents (mostly old crockery & small household bits) in the recycling/reuse shed and was told it was commercial. When asked why, the ol' fella said it was because I rocked up in a pickup. The fella was abrupt & obnoxious, totally full of his own importance; a jobsworth type.

Ended up going to the Northern site the next weekend who actually helped me unload and couldn't have been more helpful.

• Like 1

This whole mess needs sorting. The government wants us to be green and we want (most of us) to be green. 

This whole system is designed to make it harder and very expensive. Stuff the "commercial" bollocks. Stuff charging 25 quid for a fridge or telly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

This whole mess needs sorting. The government wants us to be green and we want (most of us) to be green. 

This whole system is designed to make it harder and very expensive. Stuff the "commercial" bollocks. Stuff charging 25 quid for a fridge or telly. 

This is where I have it brilliant in Glasgow.

Local Council provides us with a General Waste Bin, Cardboard Bin, Plastic/Can/Bottle Bin and Food/Garden Waste Bin - all full sized and collected at either 2 or 4 week intervals. Makes recycling and trying to be a bit greener so much easier. 

No reason IoM shouldn't look to centralise the bin collections and do the same! 

If needed I can arrange free kerbside collections for larger items, and I also have free access to the tip for additional waste, extra helpful especially with the Christmas season fast approaching. 

Edited by Manxweegie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

This is a chilling story

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Gimme the thing and I talk to them. 

1 hour ago, Manxweegie said:

This is where I have it brilliant in Glasgow.

Local Council provides us with a General Waste Bin, Cardboard Bin, Plastic/Can/Bottle Bin and Food/Garden Waste Bin - all full sized and collected at either 2 or 4 week intervals. Makes recycling and trying to be a bit greener so much easier. 

No reason IoM shouldn't look to centralise the bin collections and do the same! 

If needed I can arrange free kerbside collections for larger items, and I also have free access to the tip for additional waste, extra helpful especially with the Christmas season fast approaching. 

But then Scotland has a proper policy and Zero Waste Scotland to co-ordinate it.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/strategy-plan/2010/06/scotlands-zero-waste-plan/documents/00458945-pdf/00458945-pdf/govscot%3Adocument/00458945.pdf

We've got everybody doing their own thing.

21 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Gimme the thing and I talk to them. 

It's a training issue, sounds like the guy on the gate hasn't got a clue, or he's terrified of some pompous twat who has bollocked him for accepting trade waste? People are bound to rock up with borrowed vans, pickups etc, and unusual items, if they can't dispose of them easily and economically, you know what happens. 

A building I look after is in a Douglas lane which has become a dumping ground for unwanted fridges! A lot of kids play around there. Obviously the fly tippers will never be caught in the event of an accident or fatality, but they are not exactly being encouraged to do the right thing!  

I remember Pam Crowe, mouthing off about 'Let the polluter pay' which is right, but we are all potential polluters, some can't afford to pay! 

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

John is lucky that he could find a jobs worth to supply him with such information at the tip. The last time I went there I asked a question about which skip to use and the bloke shook his head and muttered at me in an African language and walked off which led me to believe that he didn’t actually speak English. I thought it rather odd that someone who clearly couldn’t interact with service users at a basic had actually been employed. 

• Like 1