RATES

Fred the shred

11 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

More smaller units, each with an expensive clerk and a whole load of bureaucrats... the island needs less government, not more. 

Except larger authorities may mean even more bureaucracy, in proportion as well.  You may well think that Port Erin doesn't need one employee on over £50,000 for a population of 3,730, but Douglas has 23 for a population of 26,677 - one for every 1,160 people.  When Rushen and Arbory merged, rather than just continuing to employ the same part-time Clerk they suddenly discovered they needed a Deputy as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

As I posted yesterday.

Sorry.  I missed not just that but most of the other comments on the page, including Two-lanes useful tables.  There seems to be a problem (and has been for some time) where the software that is supposed to take you to your first unread comment on a topic, sometimes skips out a number.  You don't always notice, particularly if it puts you on a new page.

21 hours ago, Gladys said:

Small is beautiful indeed, particularly when you provide only refuse collection as a service. 

It isn't quite that simple although I do appreciate that some larger authorities provide more services than the minnows. On the other hand they have much larger populations and therefore far higher gross rates income, and many residents will see nothing for their payment other than having that same bin emptied. It's undeniable that much is waste on needless bureaucracy, as with central government.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except larger authorities may mean even more bureaucracy, in proportion as well.  You may well think that Port Erin doesn't need one employee on over £50,000 for a population of 3,730, but Douglas has 23 for a population of 26,677 - one for every 1,160 people.  When Rushen and Arbory merged, rather than just continuing to employ the same part-time Clerk they suddenly discovered they needed a Deputy as well.

You have a fair point. But all the current local authorities are terrible examples of how to do it. 

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect Andrew Jessopp has more chance of getting a "Jim'll fix it" badge than he has of being re-elected. 

I think a lot of Braddan residents would now like to see Andrew Jessopp being fixed by Jim...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

On Ramsey Commissioner's web page, the last accounts published are for year end March 2022.

Does anyone know where the year end March 2023 accounts are, or will I have to communicate with the Deputy Town Clerk?

I would raise the subject with him and also enquire as to the non-publication.

They stopped enclosing details of areas of expenditure with the Rates demands a couple of years ago too, like the one attached below. Note the "administration and office expenses" at bottom left.

20240208_115302.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
screenshot

Wasn't there an allegation on social media last year where someone was claiming something was going on with Douglas Council enforcing dilapidation orders? Was it ever resolved/denied? 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/over-60-douglas-properties-on-dilapidation-or-disrepair-schedule/

ETA this was it, I've had a Google search for it but can't see there was ever an answer from the Council or if the fella withdrew his claims? 

https://gef.im/news/politics/council-investigating-corruption-allegations-29847/

Edited by Hairy Poppins