RATES

Fred the shred

• 2 months later...

Just received my Douglas rate demand for 24/25. The net amount payable wasn't quite what I was expecting. A closer look reveals that they have cut the early payment discount from 3% to 2.5%. I don't recall seeing this reduction being announced. Any other Local Authorities done similar?

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Discount is only 2.25% in Braddan.

5% in Ramsey.

Yes just checked mine, Braddan 2.25% discount, main government one is 5% still. However Braddan commissioners sent a nice sheet explaining that roundhouse delays, costs , issues etc was all down to Covid, brexit, Ukraine and hooper but basically not them!,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Douglas sent a glossy brochure with two pages about Queen Camilla. I would prefer more information about how they are spending my money.

5 - 6 years back, RTC used to do a glossy, full-colour enclosure pie chart with the demands so you could "see" where the money was being spent.

Then it was downgraded to a black and white photocopy for a couple of years. Now there's nothing at all.

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

5 - 6 years back, RTC used to do a glossy, full-colour enclosure pie chart with the demands so you could "see" where the money was being spent.

Then it was downgraded to a black and white photocopy for a couple of years. Now there's nothing at all.

Good.

Saves money on printing and postage and most of them will have gone straight in the bin anyway.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Good.

Saves money on printing and postage and most of them will have gone straight in the bin anyway.

Mine didn't. It was very useful to have some sort of indication as to where the money was going, particularly for those with an interest.

For example, 3 years ago it was costing close to £1M pounds a year in "office and administration costs" for Ramsey Town Hall, I believe that that included Town Hall salaries.

Now, for example, with the increase to 5 from 2 people in there earning over £75k a year each (and no public explanation for it yet), those costs will be over the £1M.

One might think that RTC perhaps don't want too much detail on where their ratepayers money is spent.

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Mine didn't. It was very useful to have some sort of indication as to where the money was going, particularly for those with an interest.

For example, 3 years ago it was costing close to £1M pounds a year in "office and administration costs" for Ramsey Town Hall, I believe that that included Town Hall salaries.

Now, for example, with the increase to 5 from 2 people in there earning over £75k a year each (and no public explanation for it yet), those costs will be over the £1M.

One might think that RTC perhaps don't want too much detail on where their ratepayers money is spent.

From page 20.  Nothing being hidden, it’s all there and updates every single month.

Took me about 30 seconds on Google

https://www.ramsey.gov.im/media/2234/public-board-agenda-april-2024-website.pdf

Edited by Anthony Ingham

There shouldn’t be any reward for paying in full or by a certain date on any government or council payments from the public, it’s just another punishment for the less well off.

Everything to government or a council should be payable in instalments through a year with no penalty to those making the payment

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

There shouldn’t be any reward for paying in full or by a certain date on any government or council payments from the public, it’s just another punishment for the less well off.

Everything to government or a council should be payable in instalments through a year with no penalty to those making the payment

No but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect monthly payments, and would assist the councils Local Authorities with cash flow