Being taxed for images we witness? Taxed for using our eyes?

HelmutX

17 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Either Manx Radio is poorly reporting this or the website information is not clear. It says if it is for domestic purposes you don't need to register.

Clean-Shot-2024-02-28-at-12-07-34.png

Always read the rider.

You have to notify if your domestic CCTV covers any of your neighbours property or the street.

IMG_5198.jpeg

• Like 1

Let’s be realistic. In order to enforce this and potentially prosecute someone the Information Commissioner would need first to have grounds to suspect that your camera was recording images beyond your own boundary. Then they would need to obtain a warrant to enter your property and seize footage.

I hardly think they are going to suddenly put together a hit squad tackling everyone with a Ringo door bell…to use one of their pet phrases, it wouldn’t be “proportionate ”..

Hang on though..this is the Isle of Man..where you can..(be a C&nt).

Edited by Manx Bean

36 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Either Manx Radio is poorly reporting this or the website information is not clear. It says if it is for domestic purposes you don't need to register.

Clean-Shot-2024-02-28-at-12-07-34.png

It's not caused by Manx Radio, it's derived from something published on the Information Commissioner's site last Friday:

image.png.a9ce5cb843792b6d7f81c5c74d4c90e0.png

However the statement that:

If you operate a home video doorbell, or CCTV system, which records outside the boundaries of your property, then you are required to comply with the law which includes the requirement to register and pay the statutory fee.

is contradicted by more specific advice issued in 2021:

There has been a significant increase in complaints about the installation of CCTV, and similar devices, on domestic property. 

The data protection legislation is not intended to apply to the processing of personal data for a "purely personal or household activity".  The legislation does not apply to, and the Commissioner cannot take any action about, devices recording within the boundaries of private, domestic properties. 

The legislation will only apply, therefore, if a device is used for other purposes, for example, records a public area.

The Commissioner does not approve or licence such devices and does not have the power to enter domestic property and inspect such devices without a warrant issued by the Court.  In effect, the Commissioner can only ask a householder to confirm their processing and provide advice.

So it was made clear then that they weren't really interested and had no powers to do anything about it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not caused by Manx Radio, it's derived from something published on the Information Commissioner's site last Friday:

image.png.a9ce5cb843792b6d7f81c5c74d4c90e0.png

However the statement that:

If you operate a home video doorbell, or CCTV system, which records outside the boundaries of your property, then you are required to comply with the law which includes the requirement to register and pay the statutory fee.

is contradicted by more specific advice issued in 2021:

There has been a significant increase in complaints about the installation of CCTV, and similar devices, on domestic property. 

The data protection legislation is not intended to apply to the processing of personal data for a "purely personal or household activity".  The legislation does not apply to, and the Commissioner cannot take any action about, devices recording within the boundaries of private, domestic properties. 

The legislation will only apply, therefore, if a device is used for other purposes, for example, records a public area.

The Commissioner does not approve or licence such devices and does not have the power to enter domestic property and inspect such devices without a warrant issued by the Court.  In effect, the Commissioner can only ask a householder to confirm their processing and provide advice.

So it was made clear then that they weren't really interested and had no powers to do anything about it.

Not sure there is a contradiction, it is clearly about recording outside your own property boundary, in that case you need to register. 

• Like 1

I want all images of my house and my person erased from the TT coverage. I want all riders to switch off their onboard cameras when they pass me in the viewing areas. I want all photographers to remove any image of me (or my kin) when they are shooting pics (anywhere). FFS.... I want everybody to close their eyes when they walk in public! (Most have them closed when they're driving....) What if you have a curb-side parked car? That's technically "outside" the boundary.... And, to further Hole End, police should not have cams on in public if this is the case. I know when they walk into pubs (book checking) they record everybody and then go see who they can nick later.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure there is a contradiction, it is clearly about recording outside your own property boundary, in that case you need to register. 

There's a big difference in emphasis I think.  Clearly the IC was saying in 2021 that they had no intention of enforcing the exact letter of the law, for example someone whose doorbell camera looked out onto a common area (as one for a flat automatically would) but who only wanted to use it for seeing who was at the door.  This seems to be suggesting that everyone should register.

• Like 1

Meanwhile - UK registered cars and vans still drive around, daily, used by residents and are untaxed.

Thousands get wasted on reports, consultants and paying work-shy civil servants to sit at home 'on the sick'.

There is the end of year skirmish to get rid of unused cash - so its gets spent on shite plans and pointless projects.

Yet, try to protect your own property because of a failing Police service and a frankly hopeless legal system and you could get hammered and fined. 

Yep, Alf, things are working well and we are very, very lucky.   We just are not allowed to record how lucky we are in case we end up in court.

Edited by x-in-man
  • Haha 1

There must be a clarification somewhere about the difference between a CCTV recording a street and someone standing in the street with a video camera.

Both are recording events in a public place.

[Is a private road a public place?]

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There must be a clarification somewhere about the difference between a CCTV recording a street and someone standing in the street with a video camera.

Both are recording events in a public place.

[Is a private road a public place?]

In the UK, it isn't illegal to film someone in a public place without their consent unless the video is recorded for nefarious purposes. There is no expectation of privacy in a park or the street, for example.

Taken from an internet - I think it's just the IOM Gov desperate for cash.

Along with this

More rom an internet

I'd claim confusing advice and tell the IC to bugger off my land.

Edited by x-in-man