Nobody mentioning the Queens visit next week?

kevster

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

There was a Queen, she died in 2022. This is just the Kings mistress coming for a jolly. Bet the great and the good thought they'd warrant Chaz in person.

I’m sure the great and the good of Manx Society will be getting in on the act, and have the opportunity to meet royalty. I wonder which MHKs will be creeping, fawning and tugging of forelocks? My first bet would be Professor David Ashford MBE MHK, the king of the DBC chewing gum machine, followed by the Peoples Prince Rob Callister. 

I think under normal circumstances this visit would be exciting, but having hammered the taxpayers, I think the mood generally is rather flat and indifferent. 

• Like 1

Well I tried to raise the topic of costs for this in committee recently, but was referred to the chief to ask as technically nobody outside of the councillors and invited guests was supposed to know. I will ask again as events budgets are tight and I don’t want this to affect other events later in the year for example. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray Manx said:

I don’t understand why we want to change Douglas to a city and what the advantage of that is. If anyone knows of any advantage please let me know 

I've been saying for years, it's all driven by a very secretive but influential order of Quiz Masters. 

Where else do you think quiz questions come from? ...and how else did Ashford get his MBE?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Well I tried to raise the topic of costs for this in committee recently, but was referred to the chief to ask as technically nobody outside of the councillors and invited guests was supposed to know. I will ask again as events budgets are tight and I don’t want this to affect other events later in the year for example. 

The cost of the security is usually the worst...I imagine that will be government and not the Corpy?

Not much happens here, so I guess we'll get the usual overreaction from the Manx Constabulary too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The cost of the security is usually the worst...I imagine that will be government and not the Corpy?

Not much happens here, so I guess we'll get the usual overreaction from the Manx Constabulary too.

Wonder if they bring a car over or if they’ll borrow an Aston from Jackson’s again. 

11 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

There was a Queen, she died in 2022. This is just the Kings mistress coming for a jolly. Bet the great and the good thought they'd warrant Chaz in person.

"When a man marries his mistress he creates an immediate job vacancy."

Attrib: Jammy Goldsmith

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Wonder if they bring a car over or if they’ll borrow an Aston from Jackson’s again. 

Best get it on the boat before the weekend, you can never tell if there's going to be a boat in the morning/afternoon/evening/overnight

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

11 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Maybe they’d have got him, if he wasn’t undergoing chemotherapy.

So, we nearly got The Kings Speech again then. 

God, that film funding farce really does come back to haunt us doesn’t it.

• Haha 1