Nobody mentioning the Queens visit next week?

kevster

37 minutes ago, Thomas Dalby said:

I have always been by inclination generally supportive of the monarchy and am by no means a republican, no doubt as a result of respect for QEII’s reign. I also appreciate that with the King suffering from cancer it is not easy for the Queen to undertake longer visits and wish them both well. But nevertheless the likely cost of this, which will be borne by the Isle of Man, does surely seem disproportionate for what looks like being a flying visit for a few hours.

What is the likely cost for this? Will it be borne by the Isle of Man? If we have to stump up for a meal of queenies with bacon, Loaghtan lamb with all the trimmings and a cup of coffee for Camilla and her entourage I don’t think it’s really worth making a fuss about.

I think we need to know the cost before deciding or not whether it is disproportionate.

I imagine any Royal visit anywhere can be challenged as being value for money.

In my youth I was a full on Republican foaming at the mouth about how the public should not spend a penny on the Royal Family. I’m a lot more relaxed about it now, there’s a lot more important stuff to worry about

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

Man ruthlessly applies for city status demanding that any other applicant isn’t worthy of consideration and denouncing their respectability. 

Wins city status

Man questions the cost of gaining city status and it’s confirmation by monarch. 

you can’t make this shit up. 

I will quote you purely as it will get a reply from @Amadeus

Has the Royal visit been planned around the two week rota when the lower part of Town have had their bins emptied or will Camilla see 12 days of overflowing shit in King Street?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

Man ruthlessly applies for city status demanding that any other applicant isn’t worthy of consideration and denouncing their respectability. 

Wins city status

Man questions the cost of gaining city status and it’s confirmation by monarch. 

you can’t make this shit up. 

Say what? I’m just trying to see what it costs and more importantly who will pay for what. 

What it costs is damage to our Ancestral Psyche!!! We were an independent Nation and then the English invades us, took that away that and now Douglas wants to forgive and forget all that History for the glory of your Councillors and their collective egos???

While African and Caribbean and southern US states are being asked for 'apologies' for their past enslavement for the British behaviour to their citizens, should we not be doing the same???

• Thanks 1

I think Camilla's visit is a good metaphor for the complete nonsense that is the monarchy, especially as it applies to the island.

Here we are bowing and scraping to a woman whose only claim to fame is that she was shagging some hereditary titled, inbred twat while he was married to someone else.

Closing off half of Douglas at God knows what cost seems logical by comparison.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

What it costs is damage to our Ancestral Psyche!!! We were an independent Nation and then the English invades us, took that away that and now Douglas wants to forgive and forget all that History for the glory of your Councillors and their collective egos???

While African and Caribbean and southern US states are being asked for 'apologies' for their past enslavement for the British behaviour to their citizens, should we not be doing the same???

Absolutely! Constitutional modernisation here is very long overdue.

• Like 2

When you apply to be honoured  with City status it has consequences, one being the King or his representative visits the City until that happens the City status is not valid.     The time to query ‘ how much ‘   is before you make the formal application not now…too late is the cry.   Remember Douglas Council asked for this it was not thrust upon them so they should and probably will shoulder the cost which will probably amount to sandwiches and sausage rolls they may even open the bar.   The cost of security should not be that much the swat gang are pretty well underemployed anyway so that is about it.  

28 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Here we are bowing and scraping to a woman whose only claim to fame is that she was shagging some hereditary titled, inbred twat while he was married to someone else

Speak for yourself!   I bow and scrape to no-one!

(Well, maybe Gladys, but just a bit - I do like lilac…)

• Haha 3

There are references here to the cost of the trip being a few sausage rolls and Manx queenies with bacon. As I understand it, for these visits the entire cost of the security operation is paid for by the IOM, including all special protection and police officers from the UK, vetting and advance planning. For a 2-3 day visit I can see it, for a few hours, I question it.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Don't forget the bloody Norwegians either, they invaded us too.