AG'office breaking news

Dirty Buggane

Just heard on the NPM that local charity's are experiencing problems registering under new reg's due to the AG's office being under resourced, what the fuck are they not one of the departments that has increased tenfold in a few years to become the largest legal employer on island. What do all these people do, Apart from give shite(Ranson case springs to mind) advise.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 3

As usual, no forethought as to how new regulations are going to be implemented by general public. So more charity money will now be spent on advocates and other professionals as you know, sure as eggs is eggs, they won't be volunteering their time for free. No doubt even more jobs coming for CS.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

As usual, no forethought as to how new regulations are going to be implemented by general public. So more charity money will now be spent on advocates and other professionals as you know, sure as eggs is eggs, they won't be volunteering their time for free. No doubt even more jobs coming for CS.

Creating a cottage industry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is now a massive legal department costing god knows how much. Less bureaucracy less lawyers needed, we are drowning in red tape and stupid rules.

Absolutely true story, I had to get an approval for something we do, and met an older guy on site  from a Government department , clearly with a sense of humour, who introduced himself as being from the department of petty bureaucracy ! Even he could see the stupidity of what we had to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new regulations are to comply with AML , KYC standards etc. I’m involved with a few and it is more work as annual accounts, UTD information required.

However there were many 000s of obselete charities registered, may more being set up for one off collections etc, fraudulent ones etc. Most well run charities don’t have a problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

The new regulations are to comply with AML , KYC standards etc. I’m involved with a few and it is more work as annual accounts, UTD information required.

However there were many 000s of obselete charities registered, may more being set up for one off collections etc, fraudulent ones etc. Most well run charities don’t have a problem. 

Agreed.  I am very involved with what would probably be a mid sized charity/organisation..

It’s more work, but there are plenty of people willing to help for free. It certainly doesn’t cost us any more than before.

Accounts are audited by someone who does charge but at a very favourable rate, everything else is done by people who give their time freely.

Why does this sit with the AG's office? 

Seems a straightforward admin job of maintaining the register, checking KYC, general correspondence. I doubt those functions sit with the legal function at any bank, insurance firm, or e-gambling office in town. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

Why does this sit with the AG's office? 

Seems a straightforward admin job of maintaining the register, checking KYC, general correspondence. I doubt those functions sit with the legal function at any bank, insurance firm, or e-gambling office in town. 

And charitable objectives? 

The problem is not that the AG is overstaffed, the problem is that the regulations are overly cumbersome. The AML and KYC stuff might be reasonable for big and well-resourced charities, but they are excessive for trivially small charities. One charity I'm involved in has a turnover of something in the order of £50/year. There simply is no reasonable money laundering fear with such trivially small amounts of money.

Similarly, the processes impose too much work on AG staff: charities should upload their relevant documentation publicly in some fashion, and then anyone wanting to review the documentation could just go to the relevant website and review the documents in a self-service style... rather than requiring an AG staff member to send the document to the person who wants to review and see. This is what happens with the Companies Registry, for example.

• Thanks 1

With a turnover of £50, why are they even registered?  How do they fulfill their charitable objectives?

I know there I a great deal of voluntary work in local charities, but for £50 what is the advantage to registration? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

And charitable objectives? 

Isn't that similar to due diligence on new business? Charity provides the details, trained decision maker reviews against relative rules. Higher value more complex charities go to a more senior staff member? Does the decision maker need to be a lawyer? What happens in all the rest of government where things are registered?