The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

Put it back as a bus station, the town is desperate for one.

There were plans to move the bus station to the Sea Terminal, which i think would be an ideal place - sheltered waiting area, shop units, cafe, taxi rank, ferry terminal, welcome centre.

That would be logical and so is not going to happen.

Lord Street site could have been given back to Douglas Corporation to create a proper town square round a proper library and civic offices.

At present Douglas Corporation are paying rent to Dandara for a totally unsuitable office conversion on 3 floors when they could have had a new purpose-built library.

At present Douglas Corporation are paying rent to Dandara for a totally unsuitable office conversion on 3 floors when they could have had a new purpose-built library.

Ahhh Douglas Library, bless it, I was in there the other day, I noted that there were far more staff than necessary. I came to thinking that it would be cheaper to give books to the people rather than employ so many, not to mention the fancy automatic doors, the fancy anti-theft things and all that other unnecessary 'jazz'.

Forget GFL, he's a waste of space (IMHO), like a big fat balloon full of hot air, the jaws flap and out come the promises of the best things since the emperors new clothes & they all lap it up....pah! I think DTC got a bit shafted by Danny Dare, the place at the business park, tsh! and the make-shift Library, nice rentals little boys club.

I'm quite happy with the current library - it's an improvement on the old one at the town hall. The automatic doors must help people in wheelchairs and with prams and surely anti-theft devices must be fairly standard at libraries.

I'm quite happy with the current library - it's an improvement on the old one at the town hall. The automatic doors must help people in wheelchairs and with prams and surely anti-theft devices must be fairly standard at libraries.

Anything would have been an improvement on the old Douglas Library.

• 14 years later...
5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lord-street-bus-station-wheres-the-detailed-plan/

Does anyone have an idea where "a report from the infrastructure minister on plans for the Lord Street bus station site" may be found?

In the ethereal dreams of DfE and DOI along with all the other proposals for down there.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Realistically do we need a bus station? Other than people who don't like change has it actually been missed?

No. We have a purpose built, perfect covered area with toilets, waiting area, welcome centre, WHSmith and Costa at the Seaterminal that is begging to be used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course we need a bus station. We live on a windswept and rainy Island and people waiting for buses should be able to do so in relative comfort and have access to facilities such as toilets, warmth and ideally cafe facilities or at the very least vending machines. Those who regularly catch bus connections, elderly or infirm or those with small children should be able to wait in comfort for their bus. Even more so given we are as a society trying to persuade more people out of private vehicles and onto public transport. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Venus said:

Of course we need a bus station. We live on a windswept and rainy Island and people waiting for buses should be able to do so in relative comfort and have access to facilities such as toilets, warmth and ideally cafe facilities or at the very least vending machines. Those who regularly catch bus connections, elderly or infirm or those with small children should be able to wait in comfort for their bus. Even more so given we are as a society trying to persuade more people out of private vehicles and onto public transport. 

But people seem to have managed for the past 20 years off the top of my head there are 3 cafes, 4 pubs within a 100 metre radius people can go to if they want to wait inside get a brew use the toilet

• Like 1

Well if you wanted to sum up the general uselessness of the Manx Government at providing even minimal facilities for the public, it's been autogenerated for us:

image.png.6eae2a039f36c5fc7725d56b5cafe14c.png

But if you also wanted to show the contempt that the civil service shows to its political 'masters', being given six months to produce a detailed report on a subject that a Department has had literally decades to think about, and then producing a two page letter, late, sums that up pretty well.  And of course numpties like Crookall are perfectly happy to go along with it, providing it gives them the easiest life possible. 

• Like 2