Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

7 hours ago, trench12 said:

Sailed on the 19.45 Douglas to heysham 24/4, Saturday  total numbers.. 8 cars 1 motorcycle , 9 foot passengers must put a dent in the averages

Tuesday and Wednesday overnight Heysham sailings are often designated for the carriage of dangerous goods and the number of cars and passengers severely restricted.  So that may have been the case here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, trench12 said:

Sailed on the 19.45 Douglas to heysham 24/4, Saturday  total numbers.. 8 cars 1 motorcycle , 9 foot passengers must put a dent in the averages

Sailed Heysham - Douglas on Sunday, 28/4, 14:15 sailing. Five full coaches and around 100 cars. Even given the size of the Manxman, it was very busy on board.

• Like 1

This sounds encouraging:

ISLE OF MAN STEAM PACKET COMPANY ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL 2023 STATISTICS

29/1/2024

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company (IOMSPC) is confirming final 2023

passenger statistics show the highest number of passengers and vehicles carried

since 2007, TT’s 100th anniversary.

In 2023, the Company transported 623,037 passengers and 196,430 vehicles. In

comparison, in 2007 the Company transported 632,942 passengers and 197,745

vehicles.

The numbers show growth over 2022’s figures which saw the Company’s vessels

carrying a total of 595,390 passengers and 192,928 vehicles. The statistics show

continued growth in passenger figures post-Covid-19 Pandemic and reflect a

positive trend for the Company to build on going forward.

Brian Thomson, Managing Director, commented: "We are delighted to share the

Company's 2023 statistics. The high volume of passengers and vehicles carried is

a testament to the ongoing commitment to improving services across the

Company. In 2023, we refurbished Manannan and brought Manxman into service.

Looking ahead to 2024 we have further improvements currently underway on

Manannan including improved children’s play area, a larger retail space and other

facilities to improve the passenger experience. We’re also looking forward to

bringing the Isle of Man Government’s new Liverpool terminal online. As a

Company we’re not resting on our laurels, we’re determined to grow passenger

numbers even further."

There were certainly a fair few coaches in 2023 but not sure how that compares with 2022.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

This sounds encouraging:

There were certainly a fair few coaches in 2023 but not sure how that compares with 2022.

they could be even more successful if they did better deals on the fares , the old steam packet management had a whole raft of special offers    to tempt passengers to travel ,  particularly in the shoulder months , better to have the manxman   with a decent capacity than sail in with a dozen cars and a hand full of people   its more visitors we want,  better for the hospitality industry and everyone else trying to scratch a living in retail 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The problem I have with MXM is that the increase in PAX is not proportionate to the number of vehicle spaces that have increased.

I looked at the numbers on this earlier in the year:

That's what always puzzled me about increasing the number of passengers.  For most of the time the passenger capacity on the Ben (275 cars, 636 pax) was never reached because car spaces filled up first and after the associated passengers were taken in account there were never enough foot passengers to make up to the maximum.   But most of the capacity increase on the Manxman (237 cars, 948 pax) has been in extra pax.  There's also space for 75 trailers, some of which could be used for busy periods for extra car space, but it seems an odd priority, unless they're hoping to do much more from Liverpool.  And if that's the case it would mean running a separate freight operation.

I can only assume that's it's another part of the Liverpool fantasy, where they assume that their wonderful new offerings will magically mean many more people will want to travel to/from there, all year round (even if the boat isn't up to it).

• Thanks 1

It's in preparation for the ultimate future True Green Isle when everyone comes by foot and uses the trains, trams and buses. It's only a mystery if you don't have vision.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Looks like a new problem at Heysham.  The boat is standed while they try and fix the starboard engine. 

WHAT A WASTE OF MO....

Oh. It's the Ben on today. Now I am totally confused. I thought that never broke down.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's what always puzzled me about increasing the number of passengers.  For most of the time the passenger capacity on the Ben (275 cars, 636 pax) was never reached because car spaces filled up first and after the associated passengers were taken in account there were never enough foot passengers to make up to the maximum.   But most of the capacity increase on the Manxman (237 cars, 948 pax) has been in extra pax.  There's also space for 75 trailers, some of which could be used for busy periods for extra car space, but it seems an odd priority, unless they're hoping to do much more from Liverpool.  And if that's the case it would mean running a separate freight operation.

I can only assume that's it's another part of the Liverpool fantasy, where they assume that their wonderful new offerings will magically mean many more people will want to travel to/from there, all year round (even if the boat isn't up to it).

Yes, but as I said earlier, when I was on the Mamxman a week ago, five coach loads of tourists were put on before any other passengers. Taking up about the size of five or six containers, it also accounted for about one third the capacity of passengers. 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

All based on 500,000 visitors pa projection?

Build it and they will come...

Or something.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Yes, but as I said earlier, when I was on the Mamxman a week ago, five coach loads of tourists were put on before any other passengers. Taking up about the size of five or six containers, it also accounted for about one third the capacity of passengers. 

What point are you making. Is that a good thing?

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The problem I have with MXM is that the increase in PAX is not proportionate to the number of vehicle spaces that have increased.

Genuine question. How did you come to that conclusion?

The vehicle spaces Vs Passenger capacity has to be a movable one because it doubles as a freight carrying vessel.