Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

As usual we, over here, safe and warm, don't know the truth. Have Israel bombed a hospital? Plausible, probably in error. Have Hamas misfired and bombed their own hospital? Plausible, probably due to incompetence. 

But my point, if I have one, is this is only going to get worse, for both sides and for all innocents involved, unless someone says stop. And that will have to be Israel/US because I recognise that Hamas are religious nut jobs who would rather die, and take everyone else with them, whereas Israel are not. They may be religious nut jobs, but they lack Hamas' suicidal tendencies. And that for me is pretty much the only difference in this war that is killing babies on both sides. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

As usual we, over here, safe and warm, don't know the truth. Have Israel bombed a hospital? Plausible, probably in error. Have Hamas misfired and bombed their own hospital? Plausible, probably due to incompetence. 

But my point, if I have one, is this is only going to get worse, for both sides and for all innocents involved, unless someone says stop. And that will have to be Israel/US because I recognise that Hamas are religious nut jobs who would rather die, and take everyone else with them, whereas Israel are not. They may be religious nut jobs, but they lack Hamas' suicidal tendencies. And that for me is pretty much the only difference in this war that is killing babies on both sides. 

The IDF would be nuts to strike a hospital with their main backer due in-country tomorrow...

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why haven't the neighbouring Arab states taken them in?

Over 2million of them? Which countries would be able to support that all in one go?

So in short, I suppose, various practical and political reasons.

Don't see why the Gazan people should suffer at the hands of war crimes because of that, though?

Here's a question that I don't think was answered fully, what is the possible good outcome of Israel's current action? An actual attainable good outcome. And how many civilian deaths are acceptable to get there?

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The problem there is that Israel don't have to be suicidal to continue the war. If they wanted to they could "win" it tomorrow. It looks like they're trying, actually, having dropped more tonnage of bombs on Gaza in a week than the US dropped on Afghan in a year.

But I do agree that hands need forcing by the international community. Netanyahu is perfectly happy with the status quo, and Hamas are perfectly happy to commit acts of terror. Outside interference to sit parties down and actually draw up a solution that works is necessary. But almost impossible.

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why won't Egypt open the border crossing?

As previous question, mostly political chincanery. Depending on who you believe it's either to avoid a mass exodus, to maintain security in Sinai, or because they think it would undermine Palestinian hopes for a Palestinian state in Palestine.

Just now, HeliX said:

Over 2million of them? Which countries would be able to support that all in one go?

So in short, I suppose, various practical and political reasons.

Don't see why the Gazan people should suffer at the hands of war crimes because of that, though?

Who said anything about it being all in one go?

IT'S BEEN OVER SEVENTY YEARS FFS!!!

When Israel was first formed it was immediately attacked by five arab states with annihilation in mind.

If they felt so strongly about the Palestinians why haven't they taken them in...?

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

I've never said that.

In drawing attention to the election it's clear that the majority support Hamas.

Although not clearly enough for some people it would seem...

You know as well as I do that the majority of people in a democracy can vote for other parties but the winner is the one who garners the largest proportion of votes.

It's one of the reasons we have been lumbered with a Conservative government on the UK for so long.  

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

When Israel was first formed it was immediately attacked by five arab states with annihilation in mind.

If they felt so strongly about the Palestinians why haven't they taken them in...?

Misread your post and thought it implied in the present. See other answer re: chincanery.

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why should the Palestinians have to leave? Because the Bible? 

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

There are more Palestinians in Jordan than Palestine. There are refugee camps in Jordan, Syria and Lebanon that have been there since the nabka, generations have lived in them and known nothing else. What exactly do you mean by why havent they taken them in? The issue is they were never allowed back.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There are more Palestinians in Jordan than Palestine. There are refugee camps in Jordan, Syria and Lebanon that have been there since the nabka, generations have lived in them and known nothing else. What exactly do you mean by why havent they taken them in? The issue is they were never allowed back.

Quite.

The original plan was for three partitions.

Unfortunately five arab states invading with the annihilation of Israel as their aim muddied the waters somewhat...

• Thanks 2