Abortion plight should shame us all? Really?

Tarne

The morning after pill is available on the IOM is it not?

I'm pretty much sure they do it in Boots judging by the panicky young girls you see who look like they've been up all night waiting in a queue for the Pharmacist on a Sunday morning. Some of the views here though are pretty appalling. It's a woman's choice it's got nothing to do with the, largely, male anger merchants above how a woman chooses to deal with an unplanned pregnancy. And let's face it they usually have to do that because the bloke who put her in that position has usually fucked off at 100 mph and is now irresponsibly shagging someone else. Why try to stigmatize people who probably already feel stigmatized enough already by the time they've had to deal with it all (and pay for the operation and the travel) themselves by making some of the deliberately awful comments above? At least moving forward women might be able to get proper supportive medical attention and proper counseling after the event rather than having to pretend to everyone that it didn't happen because there is little open support because of the way the current system works here.

Edited by hboy
  • Like 5

I agree hboy. Abortions should be available on the IOM and it should be a matter for the woman involved herself, no one else.

The only option available after the event is the morning after pill, which I think is an option for a couple of days after not just the next day. I am also not too sure how reliable it is.

Also, responsibility and 16 years of age do not sit well IMHO. We would all like to think it does but can you remember how invincible you were at 16? Nothing bad would ever happen, right?

Well, it does and that is a big life lesson that often is only taught through experience.

I do not believe abortion should be seen as a means of contraception, but if you accept that abortion should be available, I cannot see how you can rationally stop that. Also, I think the loss of real stigma attaching to unplanned pregnancies has removed some of the fear of getting pregnant, probably increasing the chances of it happening. That is not to say I would advocate a return to the historic treatment of unmarried girls who got pregnant, but more that society should accept that it is a reality and allow women the means to deal with it in their preferred way.

• Like 3

The morning after pill is available on the IOM is it not?

Yes, there's a list of those who supply it free on the Island and it seems to be fairly extensive.

But that is only useful if women know that something has gone wrong - they have had sex without contraception or a condom has split or whatever. If regular contraception has failed, they won't know until it is too late for the morning after pill to be ineffective.

Yes I understand that. Regular contraception does fail for a number of reasons. A former work colleague's daughter had crones disease and the pill proved to be ineffective twice despite the doctors saying the condition would not affect it. Luckily, in each case she was pleasantly surprised and was in a stable relationship. But others may not have been so receptive to the unexpected news.

they had a doc on radio2 some months back telling a story of a women in a&e requesting the morning after pill before going on a date....

This is why sexual health should be taught more rigorously in schools.

Again, not happening due to interference from ancient cults and their dogma.

• Like 3

I agree hboy. Abortions should be available on the IOM and it should be a matter for the woman involved herself, no one else.

The only option available after the event is the morning after pill, which I think is an option for a couple of days after not just the next day. I am also not too sure how reliable it is.

Also, responsibility and 16 years of age do not sit well IMHO. We would all like to think it does but can you remember how invincible you were at 16? Nothing bad would ever happen, right?

Well, it does and that is a big life lesson that often is only taught through experience.

I do not believe abortion should be seen as a means of contraception, but if you accept that abortion should be available, I cannot see how you can rationally stop that. Also, I think the loss of real stigma attaching to unplanned pregnancies has removed some of the fear of getting pregnant, probably increasing the chances of it happening. That is not to say I would advocate a return to the historic treatment of unmarried girls who got pregnant, but more that society should accept that it is a reality and allow women the means to deal with it in their preferred way.

Where would you draw the line though?

There are women who have had multiple abortions. (horrific).

Where would you draw the line though?

There are women who have had multiple abortions. (horrific).

As most women don't exactly boast about it how do you know it's not affected your partners or children before you slag off people's morals?

Well because (a) It has not affected my wife or children and (b) it wouldn't alter how I view that morally.

An ex partner, before I met her, had an abortion and it haunted her, mentally. One of the 5% apparently that it affectsrolleyes.gif

And it is true that there is a small segment of women who have had multiple abortions. I know of one in the IOM and she actually wasn't silent about it at all (which is how it was common knowledge at the time). Let's not pretend there are not more people like that anywhere.