Forum Upgrade Questions

doc.fixit

2 hours ago, Declan said:

I think it is a coincidence too. But not of the other accounts had that number. If you look at the screenshot thebees has a different number. 

Maybe the mods operate to very rigid rules. 4681 posts about  TT morbitity and occasional classical music snobbery = fine. 4682 and the ban hammer falls. 

I noticed this well before the upgrade the other day - you used to be able to look at the member list, in order of posts made, and the 4 accounts we're talking about had all made 4682.  I'm a bit of a numberphile, and things like this stand out for me.  I'd agree with your distinction between sock puppets and successor accounts.  I've no idea why someone would deliberately make 4682 forum contributions and then move on to a new account, but I don't believe it's a coincidence.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't play with your numbers.

if the mod team see attempts at mass deletions they are blocked and the mod team always restore them.

That was a TJ favourite trick in melt down mode.

i don't think anyone suggested Columbe fixed the numbers. It was just a random coincidental effect of the migration. It's resolved now.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I noticed this well before the upgrade the other day - you used to be able to look at the member list, in order of posts made, and the 4 accounts we're talking about had all made 4682.  I'm a bit of a numberphile, and things like this stand out for me.  

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

You can't play with your numbers.

if the mod team see attempts at mass deletions they are blocked and the mod team always restore them.

That was a TJ favourite trick in melt down mode.

i don't think anyone suggested Columbe fixed the numbers. It was just a random coincidental effect of the migration. It's resolved now.

Which Wright is right?

I don't think Wrighty would make up seeing the post count the same for Keyboarders four accounts before the update.

But we do know John Wright likes to bluster and bluff when he doesn't actually know the facts. And he begins his reassurance by a statement we know is untrue. We know they can play with the numbers because p.k.'s post count was increased by 15k. 

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Re read what I said Declan. You can't play with your numbers.

You may not be able to play with them, but they can and have changed.  Prior to the upgrade, and just after, according to Declan's screenshot, there were 4682 posts each for 4 posters who some thought of as being the same person.  I thought it was reasonably indicative of someone deliberately choosing when to quit posting here, based on the statistical improbability of ending up with the same number if they quit on a random basis.  2 posters with the same number - sure - but 4, with post counts that range from 0 to 25000... I haven't done the calculation, but I'd guess it would be a very low probability of occuring randomly.

Oooh this is like the mafia game :( I liked that. 

I have been trying to pay my subs for days now - where is the basket? I keep getting the message "You are only allowed to purchase one of this product, and you have already done so." so I am guessing I have one in my basket but I cannot seem to find the basket to check out. Stupid internet.

How F'in mad is this?...I thought I would have a little google of the number 4682 to see if it was significant in anyway, it is quite unusual that one of the first result links was to a picture of my cousin (the proper one, not some 4th generation twice removed job). 

Lol...

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Delete some posts from your previous incarnations?

Righto. So how do you explain this then? Last visited in September 2009, and yet nearly 100 fewer posts than you claim were there. Maybe you think I've got a time machine? I hope you've got someone checking the number of limbs your patients have on an in/out basis! You know, just in case! Numberphile eh.... lol.  

40 minutes ago, thebees said:

I have been trying to pay my subs for days now - where is the basket? I keep getting the message "You are only allowed to purchase one of this product, and you have already done so." so I am guessing I have one in my basket but I cannot seem to find the basket to check out. Stupid internet.

Yeah we think there's a problem with the sub registration stuff, bear with us on that. 

Archived