Forum Upgrade Questions

doc.fixit

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, La Colombe said:

I don't understand this post I'm afraid. What would you have bet on me doing?

OK I'll spell it out for you.

Declan spotted that forum users known as Pierrot Lunaire, The Sick Moon, and ManxTaxPayer all had 4682 posts.  I commented that I'd noticed this before, in addition to the user known as Keyboarder also having 4682 posts.  It is widely suspected that these users are the same person - Keyboarder is before my time on the forum, but there was certainly a similarity in posting styles and content about the other 3 in my opinion.  It's interesting that they all stopped posting on the same number.  Coincidence or significant?

It seems to me that 'La Colombe' is the latest incarnation of this same poster, hence my bet that you would have also finished on 4682 posts, for whatever reason makes that number important for you.  Now it's been pointed out though, you probably won't.  Interesting too that since Declan posted his screenshot the numbers have changed.

If you go to the Activity Tab, you can set and save a view. Which shows you all new posts and lets you go directly to the first unread post if you click the topic header. I've set mine like this...

Capture 2.JPG

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Declan spotted that forum users known as Pierrot Lunaire, The Sick Moon, and ManxTaxPayer all had 4682 posts.  I commented that I'd noticed this before, in addition to the user known as Keyboarder also having 4682 posts.  It is widely suspected that these users are the same person - Keyboarder is before my time on the forum, but there was certainly a similarity in posting styles and content about the other 3 in my opinion.  It's interesting that they all stopped posting on the same number.  Coincidence or significant?

It seems to me that 'La Colombe' is the latest incarnation of this same poster, hence my bet that you would have also finished on 4682 posts, for whatever reason makes that number important for you.  Now it's been pointed out though, you probably won't.  Interesting too that since Declan posted his screenshot the numbers have changed.

Honestly, the obsession on Manx Forums with identifying and outing sock puppets is quite bizarre. Explain to me how I am supposed to have changed the numbers then? 

I thought it was an interesting coincidence that at that point the numbers of three posters were the same, especially given the high likelihood that it's the same poster. 

In truth I wouldn't describe - Keyboarder/Pierrot/The Sick Moon/MTP/La Colombe as sock puppets but as successor accounts each less funny than the one before. Just as Steven!/Theo/Gettafe and all the others simply replace that person's previous account whenever the shadowy figures of the Manx Establishment begin to close on on him. Sock Puppets are where a poster controls several accounts at the same time, often in the same thread. 

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

I thought it was an interesting coincidence that at that point the numbers of three posters were the same, especially given the high likelihood that it's the same poster. 

In truth I wouldn't describe - Keyboarder/Pierrot/The Sick Moon/MTP/La Colombe as sock puppets but as successor accounts each less funny than the one before. Just as Steven!/Theo/Gettafe and all the others simply replace that person's previous account whenever the shadowy figures of the Manx Establishment begin to close on on him. Sock Puppets are where a poster controls several accounts at the same time, often in the same thread. 

I think someone at the helm is playing tricks on you. 

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

The numbers were just a coincidence. When someone registers a new account they start at 1, the post number from the old account doesn't transfer. Why 4682 I've no idea, but as the install has progressed its changed. I think they are all on different numbers now.

It would be bizarre for a poster with multiple consecutive reincarnations to stop after the exact same number of posts.

As for those with multiple concurrent incarnations as they have to use a different, probably throw away, e-mail address to set up each one it doesn't help in tracking them

1 hour ago, scarbunny said:

Yes.  

I use Ad Guard on iOS, which I believe is also available for Android although it needs side loading.  Or you can use the Opera mini browser which has an ad blocker built in.

1Blocker, Purify, etc. There's plenty available

I think it is a coincidence too. But not of the other accounts had that number. If you look at the screenshot thebees has a different number. 

Maybe the mods operate to very rigid rules. 4681 posts about  TT morbitity and occasional classical music snobbery = fine. 4682 and the ban hammer falls. 

Archived