Fairy tales?

doc.fixit

I suppose it’s like that free runner video and that bloke who balances rocks. People look at pictures of the diddy houses and notice the beauty of the Isle of Man.

I’m rather surprised folk are surprised they were paid for. Artists don’t give their work away for free and this is effectively public art. 

Ok the DOE’s equivillent advertising figures are always vastly inflated. But a quick google shows bbc, cnn, lonely planet, daily mail, metro have all covered it. They’ve brought pleasure to locals and the island to the attention of potential tourists.

Hopefully,  they’ll last a few years be one of things post-millennial kids will reminisce about 50 years from now.

Not the worst £26k the government will spend this year.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

Ok the DOE’s equivillent advertising figures are always vastly inflated. But a quick google shows bbc, cnn, lonely planet, daily mail, metro have all covered it. They’ve brought pleasure to locals and the island to the attention of potential tourists.

By that logic all we need now is a Manx serial killer. His murderous escapades would be covered by all the worlds mainstream media (BBC, Fox News, Sky, Daily Mail etc) generating several millions of pounds worth of free advertising for the IOM. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

By that logic all we need now is a Manx serial killer. His murderous escapades would be covered by all the worlds mainstream media (BBC, Fox News, Sky, Daily Mail etc) generating several millions of pounds worth of free advertising for the IOM. 

Perhaps he could start with Mr Skelly.* 

*Eta - obviously this is just a joke. Killing people is never something that I would condone or encourage. 

Edited by La Colombe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Perhaps he could start with Mr Skelly. 

Most of the DfE I’d say. That would generate even more free publicity. Imagine an active serial killer working his way through a whole department of a small government in a sleepy Island community? That being reported by global news agencies would probably equate to tens of millions of pounds worth of free advertising for IOM Government and the IOM. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

Asitis makes a valid point, the ones linked on his post are a mere fraction of the cost and all that would be needed to be considered art would be to arrange a few clay toadstools, a bit of bracken and moss and hey presto!

Although only £26k which in comparison to the white elephant schemes the Government spunks our money on is relatively small fry it is still a waste of our money.

With all the advertising over the years, our home grown celebrities, previous visitors, the TT and MGP, socialedia, TripAdvisor etc etc etc, if the world doesn't know about the Isle of Man then nothing else, not even fucking little fairy cottages will make any difference....the only way that can be achieved is as SoS stated...a serial killer who has outkilled every other serial killer the rest of the world has offered.

If this was just an isolated incident of DfE spunking our money on bullshit endeavours then it would be kind of ok but it's not is it, it's another in an extremely long list of profligate waste whereby the justification is made by plucking imaginary figures from the air with no hard evidence to back them up whatsoever 

Edited by yootalkin2me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I've only seen the one up Bradda Head, it's cool enough, and I like the idea of them being scattered about the place. The person who made them must be laughing their head off though. Quite why someone local couldn't have been contracted to do it for significantly less I don't know. 

Because nobody local is talented enough probably.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Most of the DfE I’d say. That would generate even more free publicity. Imagine an active serial killer working his way through a whole department of a small government in a sleepy Island community? That being reported by global news agencies would probably equate to tens of millions of pounds worth of free advertising for IOM Government and the IOM.  

Please don't put intrusive thoughts into my head.

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Because nobody local is talented enough probably.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty. If they'd said here's £20000 we want someone to make some fairy houses and stick them in unusual places there would have been people queuing up for the commission. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Serial killer tourism is big business. Edinburgh, London, everywhere does murder walks.

Better still they could leverage massive publicity from the Prom redevelopment by making a Manx Language Nordic Noir style miniseries at the same time.

The victim a junior politician and snooker ref is found murdered. It’s rumoured he was about to make a revelation on his blog, but the latest entry abruptly ends with his description the  Over 60’s gala bingo and dinner dance.

A maverick detective, Budley Dutt, with a quirky personality disorder gets elected to replace him but really is working undercover. He uncovers a sinister plot to give the contract to resurface the Prom to a mysterious cult called the Church of Living Hopelessly.   But really they’re installing a vast Meth Lab underneath the war memorial which will be serviced by mini submarines which will flood the UK with cheap amphetamines. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3