Where is Reynolds?

Cleo

30 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It was on Facebook with pictures of them sleeping in the rain. 

I think that in the 1970s we all mucked in for TT as we saw the value collectively to the Island, but now if civil servants aren’t paid to be helpful they aren’t. Nobody seems to care anymore. 

In 1998 following public requests I took people in who'd been half drowned on their campsites. That was a more civilised time. Before The CS/DfE Empire.

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Chaos at Ronaldsway probably means people queuing for an extra 10 minutes than they're used to. 

Latest instalment from FB (posted on Manx Shops & Service Good & Bad page):

"It would appear ground staff at IOM airport has been cut by half which tonight meant no steps for the plane, one bus doing trips back and forth and up to now 1 hour wait for luggage. If IOM govt want to encourage tourism and airlines to fly here this isn’t the way to go about it , esp at this time end of tt when so many IOM residents are returning after tt escape and of course the knock on effect of departing flights... disgraceful really. I’d like to say no one blame airport staff but general feeling here tonight is that IOM govt are to blame... still no luggage 1 hr 10 mins, lots of children on an already delayed flight and now lights going out all over the place lols"

and from the comments section:

"For example: our Gatwick flight(late as per) arrived, no steps, coz 1 guys job was to put the blocks under wheels, then go back get steps, then go get the bus, it only held 50 so he had two trips.... can’t say if he did the bags too tho but who knows?"

3 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

"It would appear ground staff at IOM airport has been cut by half which tonight meant no steps for the plane, one bus doing trips back and forth and up to now 1 hour wait for luggage. If IOM govt want to encourage tourism and airlines to fly here this isn’t the way to go about it , esp at this time end of tt when so many IOM residents are returning after tt escape and of course the knock on effect of departing flights... disgraceful really. I’d like to say no one blame airport staff but general feeling here tonight is that IOM govt are to blame... still no luggage 1 hr 10 mins, lots of children on an already delayed flight and now lights going out all over the place lols"

"For example: our Gatwick flight(late as per) arrived, no steps, coz 1 guys job was to put the blocks under wheels, then go back get steps, then go get the bus, it only held 50 so he had two trips.... can’t say if he did the bags too tho but who knows?"

Its kind of become embarrassing to admit to being a local!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Shitloads of management to oversee him though...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cleo said:

Actually I've travelled extensively.   What I expect is someone being paid (I understand) somewhere in the region of £1,000 per day to be able to organise check-in for a couple of flights without the complete cock-up we saw this morning.

I think it’s highly unlikely that Ms Reynold’s salary is £365,000 a year.

Edited to add: Ooops...John Wright offered that comment a while ago...sorry!

Edited by Uhtred

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

The Sea Terminal was closed and bikers were in sleeping bags outside on the pavements.

You are an idiot if you think it is anybody’s responsibility to look after them. They know the sailings they have booked themselves on but chose to turn up early rather than pay for another night’s accommodation 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

We used to care about this sort of thing and now we don’t. The civil servants don’t get overtime for opening up the Sea Terminal early on the busiest day of the year so people (our much needed tourists - apparently) can lie in the rain for a few hours. After all we don’t want to be providing any sort of support for this important event above and beyond getting paid. 

Seven p’s apply

Yes there were delays.

But the moaning is out of all proportion. Compounded by poor communication. No explanation.

First, Menzies lost staff before TT. It takes time to advertise, interview, recruit, get security clearance and train.

Second, staff have coped with extra hours and demand all TT.

Third, Saturday after TT is busiest day of year with mass exodus. Extra planes.

Fourth, yesterday evening due to departure delays at other airports, four planes arrived at same time, were on stand, and EasyJet arrived late and had to be parked and disembarked remotely, requiring bussing.

Fifth, in order not to have 160 passengers and the plane stuck here overnight ( airport operating times, maximum hours ATC ) ground staff concentrated on loading departing luggage rather than getting incoming luggage on the belt.

unfortunate, but not end of world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes there were delays.

But the moaning is out of all proportion. Compounded by poor communication. No explanation.

First, Menzies lost staff before TT. It takes time to advertise, interview, recruit, get security clearance and train.

Fourth, yesterday evening due to departure delays at other airports, four planes arrived at same time, were on stand, and EasyJet arrived late and had to be parked and disembarked remotely, requiring bussing.

Fifth, in order not to have 160 passengers and the plane stuck here overnight ( airport operating times, maximum hours ATC ) ground staff concentrated on loading departing luggage rather than getting incoming luggage on the belt.

I still think Reynolds should be blamed for everything simply on a point of principle.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes there were delays.

This is precisely the sort of information that the Airport's PR people should be disseminating

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes there were delays.

But you highlight two things that are wrong at the airport and not just at busy times, though pressure will make those faults more obvious.  The first is the complete lack of communication and lack of visibility of management.  Flybe's problems with their computer systems aren't new and automatic check-in has been suspended since 15 May.  Delays were inevitable and in most airports you would expect to see hi-vizzed helpers, often managers, around making sure that people knew what to do and generally reassuring them.

The second is the decision to contract out so many of the  services means that there is always going to be a risk of ending up short-handed.  That is going to be especially true in somewhere like the Isle of Man where, inevitably, the labour market isn't that mobile and when the contractor is a multinational like Menzies with distant management.  If there are any 'savings' from contracting out they may be lost because a far worse service is provided.  Of course a well-drafted, monitored and enforced contract should mean that such things were penalised, but we all know the chances of that are slim.

Airport management should be set up to cope with such situations when they are unexpected - weather, or the fallout from volcanoes, or terrorist attacks elsewhere.  The Saturday of TT Week being busy isn't unexpected.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Exactly, one female that thinks the world turns around for her.    I was in the airport and it was busy but nothing like this demented woman made out.

There were people queuing outside, there was no organisation, travellers didn't know where the hell to queue and no-one around to tell them and if there is a tannoy system down there it wasn't being used.  Maybe you where there, I don't know, but you obviously weren't there when I was.  I don't think the world turns for me, far from it, but the image it gave of the island was bad, very bad.  I'm not demented thank you and I can take that people may not agree with me, I however don't have to descend to trying to ridicule someone with an alternative viewpoint.

• Like 5