Future Mann

Derek Flint

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

There has to be. 

I agree Derek, there should be BUT every single CEO of every department, including the Chief Secretary, will  fight tooth and nail for the status quo. What motivation is there for them to make changes? Zero.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nothing else this should provide enough political cover (assuming the will is there) to significantly reduce the scope of government and deal with the pensions issue.  I would hope it would also be a driver for sorting out having a sensible amount (4-5) local authorities.  That is if the reserves make it through this.  The government income in addition to providing support is going to be under considerable strain for the coming years.

Should the reserves not hold up then I personally think some sort of alignment with the UK could be the only option left.   Who would lend to the IOM other than the UK (unless some sort of global hardship fund is set up)?

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I agree Derek, there should be BUT every single CEO of every department, including the Chief Secretary, will  fight tooth and nail for the status quo. What motivation is there for them to make changes? Zero.

Quite right, they don't care what happens to the island once they leave their positions. The kids still have to go to King Bills, the new cars won't pay for themselves and how are they supposed to get by on less than £10k/month? This should be an opportunity for a great equaliser in our microcosm of a society to create a more sustainable budget moving forwards, but I fear it won't. 

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

Doesn't matter where the money comes from so long as it comes.

In a system of modern money, the island not having money would only ever be a political choice. The money we use can be created at will. Our access to that is political.

It staggers me that people still don't understand this after 2008.

Sticking a cap on public sector pension withdrawals would be a good start. 

As soon as the public sector wake up and realise just how deep the shit is that we're currently in, then they'll be trying to withdraw it in lump sums as quickly as they can! 

The words from David Christian are absolutely disgraceful. 

Tynwald need to put emergency powers in place and requisition the local authority assets. At the moment all that matters is the bins being emptied and streets cleaned as well as possible in the circumstances. 

Public sector rent can be collected centrally. 

There is no need for local authorities in this time of crisis. They are (and always have been) a total unnecessary layer of bureaucracy that slows down anything getting done. 

I hope that no one forgets that it wasn't very long ago that that wonderful human being William Henderson MLC wrote a 30 page essay on why he couldn't live on less than £50000 per year.

That is the attitude that is going to have to change.

48 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Abolish the departments

22 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

The words from David Christian are absolutely disgraceful. 

Tynwald need to put emergency powers in place and requisition the local authority assets. At the moment all that matters is the bins being emptied and streets cleaned as well as possible in the circumstances. 

Public sector rent can be collected centrally. 

There is no need for local authorities in this time of crisis. They are (and always have been) a total unnecessary layer of bureaucracy that slows down anything getting done. 

It is time perhaps there were a debate on whether LAs serve any useful purpose

I used to think democracy should be as local as possible

But I now know they're easily knobbled by elected members with agendas all of their own

Archived