Future Mann

Derek Flint

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I see a messianic kind of person rising from the ashes of Coronavirus to lead a revolution against the system, there will be civil unrest, fighting on the streets as neighbour will turn against neighbour....then, when the dust settles we all, those who survive, will have very little, a scorched earth of nothing where society has completely broken down and survival of the fittest begins...to exist in a barren wasteland.

Or it could go the other way and we come under a Totalitarian State where we are merely Ants in an Ant Colony all with roles to play and given a Universal Living Wage with exception to the Bourgeoisie at the very top.

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

As someone highlighted on Twitter in riposte to David Christian’s assertions that Douglas Council couldn’t afford to lower rates;

”Douglas Council can’t afford Douglas Council”

Thats a very good riposte and on the button.

Surely any income from rates be they reduced is better than no rates at all?

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Or it could go the other way and we come under a Totalitarian State where we are merely Ants in an Ant Colony all with roles to play and given a Universal Living Wage with exception to the Bourgeoisie at the very top.

Sounds like the farmers....

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

As someone highlighted on Twitter in riposte to David Christian’s assertions that Douglas Council couldn’t afford to lower rates;

”Douglas Council can’t afford Douglas Council”

That is glorious. 

He’ll be raging tonight tho. There will be some ‘Dirty Stinking Douglas’ emails getting fired off to staff members (hic)

5 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

You mean...

Like now? 

Evolving situation. Iomtoday posted 7 minutes ago that Alf seeks Tynwald approval to raid the NI fund (sorry, can't link).

ETA. To the tune of £100M. Previous £40M "not enough".

9 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

That indeed appears to be the case

Not sure it was ever intended to prop up the economy

Tynwald must surely demand that funds removed be repaid

Manx state pension is not adequate as it is

It will be if this virus hits the Island hard and it takes out a high percentage of 'coffin dogders'.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

In a system of modern money, the island not having money would only ever be a political choice. The money we use can be created at will. Our access to that is political.

It staggers me that people still don't understand this after 2008.

Yes, I do understand it, but it isn't the answer to waste and excess. There still has to be discipline in the system otherwise the currency goes the way it did in Zimbabwe.

What needs to happen is an emergency budget every month while this continues. For each month, claw back 1/12th of each departments budget except for those actually working through this, such as health. All unnecessary internal reserves recalled. All unnecessary spending cancelled. That would be a couple of hundred million without breaking a sweat. 

As for climate change, fuck it! If we are not here to enjoy it, what is the point? 

Archived