Charles Lewin - Obituary

manxman1980

25 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think that’s a fair shout and totally reasonable. I’d have taken a redeployment for the remainder of my service (2 and a bit years)  and some time beyond that. Had I made it another rank up, it would have been easy to manage my confinement, and in UK forces the job would have had to make reasonable adjustments in any case. But I’d have certainly taken an opportunity to provide a few more years public service. What I wouldn’t have wanted though, was a non-job. 

Fully take your point on the manual trades too. I think the difference is that ‘stress factor’ that exists within policing, medicine and fire and rescue services. Perhaps when all this is done, we can start planning for a fairer,  more equitable world.

And another rank up wouldn't have done your FSS any harm either!

The advantage of experience is that you will make the right decision far more readily than those without the years in. The problem with experience is you just can't give it to a successor. They have to earn it the hard way. If you keep people on who may no longer be up to the task at it's most physical end you will retain their experience but in a chain of command they then become a barrier to others climbing the greasy pole.

To me the Manx Police Force epitomises everything that's wrong with delusions of statehood. No way does the CC carry enough responsibility to warrant the wedge and pension. It's a joke that the island just has to have one at all.

But it keeps up the pretence I suppose.

Unfortunately the delusions of statehood run right through ALL of the public sector with no thought towards whether it's desirable or not because it's certainly not affordable that's for sure....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, P.K. said:

The advantage of experience is that you will make the right decision far more readily than those without the years in. The problem with experience is you just can't give it to a successor. They have to earn it the hard way. If you keep people on who may no longer be up to the task at it's most physical end you will retain their experience but in a chain of command they then become a barrier to others climbing the greasy pole.

To me the Manx Police Force epitomises everything that's wrong with delusions of statehood. No way does the CC carry enough responsibility to warrant the wedge and pension. It's a joke that the island just has to have one at all.

Unfortunately the delusions of statehood run right through ALL of the public sector with no thought towards whether it's desirable or not because it's certainly not affordable that's for sure....

The jump to CI isn’t huge, pension wise. I just thought I still had more to offer. Stuff on firearms and road safety in particular.

I agree with the CC salary etc. I’ve written on here previously about it and the difficulties having no DCC post causes. There was a time, back when I joined IOMC when the DCC was a superintendent who nominally held the rank in title, and the Chief was paid 20% above the top line of a Chief Superintendent in the UK. Mike Culverhouse negotiated himself a bit of a rock star package and it sort of carried on from there. 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The jump to CI isn’t huge, pension wise. I just thought I still had more to offer. Stuff on firearms and road safety in particular.

I agree with the CC salary etc. I’ve written on here previously about it and the difficulties having no DCC post causes. There was a time, back when I joined IOMC when the DCC was a superintendent who nominally held the rank in title, and the Chief was paid 20% above the top line of a Chief Superintendent in the UK. Mike Culverhouse negotiated himself a bit of a rock star package and it sort of carried on from there. 

yes,  rock star pay for a busker.

13 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Poor Buster, will really miss listening to him on the radio.

If they had any sense while we’re all in lockdown looking for content to consume they should release it all on Podcast as a fitting tribute. Perhaps “Manx Radio the Buster years”? If they still have the Marge Joughin tapes that would be even better. 

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

If they had any sense while we’re all in lockdown looking for content to consume they should release it all on Podcast as a fitting tribute. Perhaps “Manx Radio the Buster years”? If they still have the Marge Joughin tapes that would be even better. 

And Dorothy from Peel. 

1 minute ago, forestboy said:

And Dorothy from Peel. 

Yes Marge, Dorothy and Tommy from the prom, all three were excellent value and spoke a lot of sense.

The Buster  book of fantasy is now closed and is history best forgotten.I think he helped a few bikers out and did help some of the Braddan tenants, but crossing the line so much and so often, does not warrant any further attention. RIP Buster. 

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

The Chief Constable has only experienced policing in the Isle of Man has never policed outside this jurisdiction.

So what experience he brings in policing or in managing an organisation is debatable 

Archived