Charles Lewin - Obituary

manxman1980

Lewin. Charles Stanley (Buster), died suddenly at his home on 6th April aged 64, with Christina, his best pal and partner for many years at his side. He will be greatly missed by his sister Marion and all those who knew him. Due to current circumstances a private funeral will be for immediate family only. There will be a chance to celebrate Buster's interesting life at a later date to be announced. Donations in lieu of flowers if so desired to The Friends of Noble's Hospital c/o Mrs Jayne Gelling, 53 Ard Reayrt, Ramsey Road, Laxey, IM4 7QP. Further enquiries to Eric Faragher Ltd tel no 673109

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/iomtoday-uk/obituary.aspx?n=charles-stanley-lewin-buster&pid=195984350 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

In true Manx style there are a few unanswered questions that'll be buried with Buster. 

May be one or two who'd be relieved at his passing. If he hadn't lost his credibility he might have been an embarrassment...

I once considered applying for the job of deputy clerk at Braddan and rang up to get more details. It was Buster who took my call. Two hours later and I knew more about the dirty dealings that went on all over the Island and who did them than ever could have dreamed.  It was an interesting conversation to say the least but let’s just say professionalism didn’t seem to be one of his finest attributes. I decided there and then that it probably wasn’t the job for me. What a man though. Truly a legend in his own lunchbox.  

A sad day when anyone passes for someone close to them irrespective of misdeeds.

I did however find this paragraph amusing :

Chairman Andrew Jessopp, speaking purely in a personal capacity, said Mr Lewin’s death offered a moment to reflect on a ’very sorry and damaging chapter in our parish history’.

He said: ’Buster may have been seen in certain quarters as some kind of folk hero. However, in reality, his various misdeeds, over an extended period of time, amounted to a really serious abuse of power.

’The lessons to be learned from this extended sorry saga must surely include the importance of speaking truth to power, and of ensuring that our systems of government - national or local- are truly accountable.’

Perhaps Mr Jessop would like to tell us how he proposes to make anyone in government, local or otherwise "accountable" as that would be a first !

27 minutes ago, asitis said:

He said: ’Buster may have been seen in certain quarters as some kind of folk hero. However, in reality, his various misdeeds, over an extended period of time, amounted to a really serious abuse of power.

Highly qualified as a Town or Authority Clerk then....

34 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I always liked Buster. He didn't take any nonsense from anybody, including any of you lot. 

Well you're wrong, and he certainly did not like Manx Forums latterly.

He dropped out during the relating of some of the scenes in the Douglas East By-election court trial.

I suppose it pricked his conscience.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

A sad day when anyone passes for someone close to them irrespective of misdeeds.

I disagree, if say, the deceased is a paedophile or rapist (or a Catholic Priest  :-) ) then I very much doubt it is a sad day when they die or that they'd be missed by anyone at all other than fellow paedophiles and rapists.

Archived