IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

On 3/29/2024 at 9:26 AM, cissolt said:

Apologies for the small font.  It appears someone read the pre- redacted version with the comments from Theresa Cope.

Does anyone have the original copy before it was removed?  Who pressured Cope into requesting its removal?

Screenshot_2024-03-29-09-25-23-45_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Wayback machine is your friend https://web.archive.org/web/20240307013420/https:/covidreview.im/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/ICR-IoM-Full-Report-01.02.2024.pdf

• Thanks 2

I see that Summerhill View has gone way over budget as well - an additional £2.333m required on top of originally approved re-based budget of £12.572m. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that it is only 18% over budget!! 

However what we have got is a 60 bed care home. In round figures each bed space has cost £250,000. Given that Government already owned the site this seems an astronomical cost. Is this yet another triumph of form over function with the "cottagey" appearance, false chimney stacks, stone cladding etc? 

All it needs is to be functional - the residents won't give a monkeys what it looks like. 

A "full" explanation is here:

spfile (tynwald.org.im)

I would love to understand more about 

"Failure of a key product component resulting in prolongation of the scheme." and "Changes instructed at a point in the project when all design issues should have been closed out resulting in contractual compensation events." 

The changes instructed when design has finished seems to be a regular failing of Government and has the contractors rubbing their hands.  

45 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

"Failure of a key product component resulting in prolongation of the scheme." and "Changes instructed at a point in the project when all design issues should have been closed out resulting in contractual compensation events." 

Sounds like a full house at bullshit bingo !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, asitis said:

Sounds like a full house at bullshit bingo !

Maybe it was cracked pink concrete...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one could get through to their doctors surgery at 8am today due to the clocks going forward an no one had changed the time in the system (so it still thought it was 7am). Resolved in about 30 minutes.

The Government is just continually inept. Basic thing that someone should be responsible for twice a year. It's quite baffling they haven't actually got the system linked to an NTP server that would update the time automatically, but that probably asking too much. Allows them to hire someone to do it manually I guess.

Useless.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

No one could get through to their doctors surgery at 8am today due to the clocks going forward an no one had changed the time in the system (so it still thought it was 7am). Resolved in about 30 minutes.

The Government is just continually inept. Basic thing that someone should be responsible for twice a year. It's quite baffling they haven't actually got the system linked to an NTP server that would update the time automatically, but that probably asking too much. Allows them to hire someone to do it manually I guess.

Useless.

Had this been posted yesterday I'd have thought it was an April Fool thing. Unbelievable. 

• Like 2

I think the price of materials is to blame for the over budget situation I was speaking to a builder the other day and he said the price of everything has rocketed.   When you think of how much the Round House escalated in cost this cost for a very much needed care home does not seem so bad in comparison .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Useless.

Whoever did it last time was probably on holiday. Or it was diarised to be done on Monday morning, but because it was Easter that never happened. I mean, who could possibly have known in advance that a moveable feast could ever coincide with a clock change.

21 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

The Government is just continually inept

But is it government who set the out of hours message and on off times, and change them, or the private businesses that are GP practice providers.

9 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I think the price of materials is to blame for the over budget situation I was speaking to a builder the other day and he said the price of everything has rocketed.   When you think of how much the Round House escalated in cost this cost for a very much needed care home does not seem so bad in comparison .

I understand that prices may have gone up but surely there must be some sort of factor for price inflation built in to the original costings. 

Given that each bedroom in a care home consists of a bedroom with an en-suite wet room they cannot be that expensive to build. Alright there are commercial kitchens and common areas to include in the overall cost but even so £250k per room seems high. If one was given a serviced plot of land how much would it cost to build a small one or two bed bungalow??    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

But is it government who set the out of hours message and on off times, and change them, or the private businesses that are GP practice providers.

I think it varies and some GP practices have their own systems while other use a centralised one.  There was talk of moving them all onto a centralised one a few months ago.  So it's not clear where the failure was here.

2 hours ago, Mistercee said:

Given that each bedroom in a care home consists of a bedroom with an en-suite wet room they cannot be that expensive to build. Alright there are commercial kitchens and common areas to include in the overall cost but even so £250k per room seems high. If one was given a serviced plot of land how much would it cost to build a small one or two bed bungalow??    

Industry rates would suggest circa £100-150k per bedroom as an outline price (not including external areas or furniture)

So if I was to build a 5 bedroom(all on suite) bungalow and allow £200,000 for lounge, kitchen all white goods, furniture and heating system, I would be looking at £950,000 to just build it. Not including the  cost of  the actual plot or services