Firm closing

finlo

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

How can gas and electricity prices cause the business to be unviable so quickly?  It must have been pretty precarious already. 

I was only speculating as to the reasons now sadly confirmed by Amadeus.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Almost makes you want to buy a yard of pasty before it goes.

Indeed, what a treat a yard of pasty is.

@offshoremanxman

I always found their bread to be good quality and much nicer than anything imported or "baked on site"  in all the supermarkets. This is such a surprise, (and a shock to the employees) as they seemed to ride out Covid quite nicely, but they also cite the cost of raw materials. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Are there options to take it over?

Prime development site in town, Dandara/Haven could get at least 30 two-beds on there...

Laxey Mills could be hit, as you say....mind, Ramsey Bakery always used to cite the cost of the Mills product when there were complaints about RB bread prices?

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Indeed, what a treat a yard of pasty is.

@offshoremanxman

I always found their bread to be good quality and much nicer than anything imported or "baked on site"  in all the supermarkets. This is such a surprise, (and a shock to the employees) as they seemed to ride out Covid quite nicely, but they also cite the cost of raw materials. 

Their bread has always been ok but I buy imported as it's cheaper.

• Sad 1

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Prime development site in town, Dandara/Haven could get at least 30 two-beds on there...

Laxey Mills could be hit, as you say....mind, Ramsey Bakery always used to cite the cost of the Mills product when there were complaints about RB bread prices?

How much grain/flour is imported from Ukraine?  I am sure I read that the current war would impact grain prices, perhaps the flour mills has become even more important?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

How much grain/flour is imported from Ukraine?  I am sure I read that the current war would impact grain prices, perhaps the flour mills has become even more important?

I don't think it matters where it comes from. It's the whole 'International market' thing that bumps up the price for everyone.

ETA makes you wonder how wise it's been for Government to be encouraging farmers to re-wild perfectly good arable farmland... 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Massive blow for IOM food sustainability & a crisis for Laxey Mills

Bit of a challenge for DfE Minister too as a local MHK

Sensible Minister in DEFA

Are there options to take it over?

Why would it be more viable for someone else? 

• Like 1