Womens Euro 2022

There was loads of "winning a foul", timewasting after the last goal, professional fouls in midfield to stop the Germans breaking and the commentator was praising it as good game management. Not to mention the player booked for dissent and the goalscorer booked for removing her shirt (although that's a stupid rule anyway). 

I think that's part of the professional approach that probably helped them win the tournament but this pretending they're not as cynical as the men is a myth.  

1 hour ago, Declan said:

There was loads of "winning a foul", timewasting after the last goal, professional fouls in midfield to stop the Germans breaking and the commentator was praising it as good game management. Not to mention the player booked for dissent and the goalscorer booked for removing her shirt (although that's a stupid rule anyway). 

It may be a stupid rule but taking off your shirt having just scored a goal is a bit stupid in itself.

Why do players do that? I understand there may be a slogan written on an undervest ( a protest against something, a declaration of love). But it’s hardly the time and the place and there is no guarantee that you are going to score so your slogan goes unnoticed.

Besides, as on the occasion the other night,there isn’t usually a slogan to display.

A bit more dignity might be in order, say a simple fist pump, a wave to the crowd or a simple shout of “get in”, before trudging back to the centre circle for the restart.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Did you miss the woman England player telling a German player to fuck off and calling them a fucking prick? Come on let's not pretend it's all tea and rainbows and they hug each other wanting world peace.

Seems a good game to me ! Like I say the nancy boys in the stratosphere of football could learn a thing or two.

As to the commentators, hardly the ladies fault !

22 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It was great to see our national team becoming European Champions! 

The Lionesses do a great job of representing England, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man. 

I’m not sure you understand the constitutional position. The Crown Dependencies are not part of England. 

But within these Islands are a large percentage ( from certainly the last IOM census) of many, like myself,  who were born in England ( hence English) and have lived there for long periods of their life. And others who have English parentage. 

As such, being English we ( they) regard England as our national team and celebrate the Lionesses victory. This does  not preclude the English, nor other nationalities supporting their national side residing here, from wishing every success for the Isle of Man national team and the Ravens.

Hope this helps to address your confusion

On 8/3/2022 at 10:36 PM, Declan said:

Also the Island affiliates to the English FA so any Manx born player of suitable standard would play for them. 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:41 AM, The Voice of Reason said:

Good point

Kieran Tierney plays for Scotland and he was born in Douglas.

Pretty sure that any suitably skilled footballer from the Island could choose which of the home nations to represent. 

• 1 month later...

It was reported a few weeks ago on "Women's Hour" from interviews with fans that players were less "dramatic" when injured and were more focused on the game rather than the time-wasting nonsense when they were younger. Many viewers said that the women's game had rekindled their interest in football and that it was far more entertaining to watch than the men's.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2022 at 8:44 AM, SharonMendell said:

It was reported a few weeks ago on "Women's Hour" from interviews with fans that players were less "dramatic" when injured and were more focused on the game rather than the time-wasting nonsense when they were younger. Many viewers said that the women's game had rekindled their interest in football and that it was far more entertaining to watch than the men's.

Well yes but unfortunately as time goes on and the appetite for  womens football grows,  the need to win at all costs will mean that these nonsenses ( time wasting etc) will also grow.

It wasn’t always thus with the mens game.

I’m afraid it’s a case of let’s enjoy the womens game before it becomes as cynical as the mens game is now.

Because as sure as eggs is eggs it will.

• 7 months later...