Womens Euro 2022

On 7/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, thommo2010 said:

Not watched a single minute of it, not intending to either

Does nothing for me either. Nothing wrong with women playing football but there's a difference between sport and a game. I'll probably be howled down but sport is about male display, virility, competition and triumph over an opponent. Women's football is a surrogate of that and never the real thing. It's just a game.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Does nothing for me either. Nothing wrong with women playing football but there's a difference between sport and a game. I'll probably be howled down but sport is about male display, virility, competition and triumph over an opponent. Women's football is a surrogate of that and never the real thing. It's just a game.

Didn't have you down as a troll!

In some sports I think the women's version is more entertaining and watchable than the men's.  Tennis for example - some men's matches are simply a service shoot out.  The women's football I've seen is in some respects more watchable than men's as we don't yet have the cult of personality that is attached to some male players, which has been known to spoil a game.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Didn't have you down as a troll!

In some sports I think the women's version is more entertaining and watchable than the men's.  Tennis for example - some men's matches are simply a service shoot out.  The women's football I've seen is in some respects more watchable than men's as we don't yet have the cult of personality that is attached to some male players, which has been known to spoil a game.

Some of the adventure/extreme sports competitions (surfing, skating, climbing etc), I find many of the women more pleasing to watch.  They tend to rely less upon aggression and brute strength and bring a more balletic and graceful technique to the respective sports. 

Footie’s on!

Those that know more about these things than me, ie most people, how would ‘the lionesses’ fare against a men’s team? At what level could they play? I assume a Man City or a Liverpool would annihilate them. What about a Norwich? Championship, 1st or 2nd division? How would they do against IOM FC?

32 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Footie’s on!

Those that know more about these things than me, ie most people, how would ‘the lionesses’ fare against a men’s team? At what level could they play? I assume a Man City or a Liverpool would annihilate them. What about a Norwich? Championship, 1st or 2nd division? How would they do against IOM FC?

IOM FC would have a height and strength advantage, they’d play high balls into Furo or another big lad and hope. It might work. 

However, the Lionesses are professional athletes. They’ll be better organised, have a greater range of attacking options and probably play at higher tempo than the Ravens are used to. The Lionesses are better at the dark arts of “winning” a penalty and “tactical fouls”.

It would be like a FA cup third round game IOM FC would be the plucky non-leaguers against a premier league team. Sometimes the underdog keeps the big team from scoring and scabs one of their own. But not often. 

As you go up the levels the skill / professionalism gap will narrow and the physical advantage will swing it towards the mens team. 

I think a more interesting challenge would be between the lionesses against an under 23 team from a premier or championship club. 

12 hours ago, wrighty said:

Footie’s on!

A half decent amateur side would beat them. 

A few years back an under 15 boys team beat the USA who at the time were world champions

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

A half decent amateur side would beat them. 

Agree. The better speed, size, power and athleticism of men would more than compensate for the women's better technical skill.

I would much rather watch last nights game, than the antics of some overpaid namby pamby prima donna, Neymar, Richarlison and lots of others like them, who go down as if shot in the temple, if someone breaks wind near them !

These snarling gesticulating twats I'd rather not watch at all.

It was refreshing to see the absolute joy of the ladies winning the tournament.

All those saying "its not mens football is it ", no its not, but if you want to watch the men exclusively then don't watch.

Congrats lionesses.

A rugby fan .

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, asitis said:

I would much rather watch last nights game, than the antics of some overpaid namby pamby prima donna, Neymar, Richarlison and lots of others like them, who go down as if shot in the temple, if someone breaks wind near them !

All those saying "its not mens football is it ", no its not, but if you want to watch the men exclusively then don't watch.

Congrats lionesses.

A rugby fan .

watched the womens team play China a few years ago and was really impressed with their attitude towards the game. They show the men's teams for what they are - money grabbers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, asitis said:

Congrats lionesses.

A rugby fan .

Did you miss the woman England player telling a German player to fuck off and calling them a fucking prick? Come on let's not pretend it's all tea and rainbows and they hug each other wanting world peace.

I actually gave the final 30 minutes but had to turn off due to the commentators, an England player could take a machete to a German and they'd argue how it wasn't a foul, also everything was brilliant, every 5 yard pass amazing, every block unbelievable. Nauseating 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1