Rishi Sunak

Max Power

Sunak talks of undoing the mistakes and damage caused by Truss. With the exception of Kwarteng's mini Budget which upset the markets, was she actually in office long enough to inflict any damage?

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You're the angry little man on here P.K. The Left are the real haters and racists as you keep demonstrating.

@Shake me up Judy

Of course I'm angry. Because I hate racists. I think the way Sunak was booed and the social media storm of racial hatred directed at him is a stain on our country that needs to be dealt with. Asolutely shameful. Unfortunately the first step in dealing with a problem is admitting it exists...

Incidentally I'm not left wing. I have a social conscience which is different. That's why I abhor the Thatcher political dogma of "They don't vote tory so fuck 'em..." so prevalent in the tory party of today. The UK, a member of the G7 (for now at least), has 1-in-4 children living in poverty. That's an absolute national disgrace.

So there are two reasons, racism and child poverty in the UK of today, that should make any normal decent person angry.

Don't you agree...?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Hiya! 

Am a Rightie. 

Don't read the Mail. 

Do slag off Labour.

Do support Boris.

Didn't support Brexit.

Not bothered Sunak is brown.  In fact I'm fairly certain I attended a Diwali East African event with him about 5 years ago. 

I think we're all a bit guilty of sweeping generalisations?

Care to explain how you can talk about demographics without generalisations?

Doesn't read the Daily Mail but thinks he's a Rightie. Dear me, an amateur.... 🙂

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Sunak talks of undoing the mistakes and damage caused by Truss. With the exception of Kwarteng's mini Budget which upset the markets, was she actually in office long enough to inflict any damage?

They were heading up already (interest rates, 10 yr gilts and inflation)...Truss set them on an exponential path though...only stopped by Hunt who was sent in by the men in grey suits.

25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Care to explain how you can talk about demographics without generalisations?

Doesn't read the Daily Mail but thinks he's a Rightie. Dear me, an amateur.... 🙂

I’ve always viewed demographics as statistical data that is fairly concrete.  i.e. sex, nationality, age etc.  Ignoring the ‘trans issue’, stuff that doesn’t really change and is easily defined.

Do sweeping generalisations about political views therefore come under demographics?  Certainly you’d use demographics to look at the characteristics of the members of a political party, but would it work the other way? 

As you’ve mentioned you’re not left (certainly not right) but left leaning central.  To be honest I’d probably say I’m a right leaning central.  As you’ve pointed out, I can’t be fully Right if I don’t read the Mail.

Nailing down a person’s political views to support demographic data would therefore be quite tricky as our views can be pretty fluid and contradictory to the ideology of one party or the other.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They were heading up already (interest rates, 10 yr gilts and inflation)...Truss set them on an exponential path though...only stopped by Hunt who was sent in by the men in grey suits.

Not forgetting Kamikwazi and Thick Lizzy's  "permanent moron premium " of an instant steep rise in mortgage payments down to their stupidity...

On 10/24/2022 at 2:36 PM, manxman1980 said:

I do find it interesting that the Conservative Party have now delivered the first female Prime Minister and the first person of colour (and Hindu) Prime Minister.  Not sure what to make of this given the party can often be anti-immigration...

Anyway, how long will he last?  Last time Max started a thread the PM was out within 2 months,

The vicious anti-immigration sentiment being pursued by the Tories has only become particularly nasty since their right-wing hijacked the Party. It is the more compassionate policies of the past that enabled Rishi, Priti, Suella, Kwasi (personally I genuinely like Sayeeda Warsi and I would be relatively happy if she got the top job) to succeed in education, business and politics. IMHO, in today’s febrile anti-immigration hysteria, their path to the pinnacles they have reached would have been thornier and much less certain than it was.

Labour’s Chuka Umunna was a rising star until he quit politics in the most dramatic fashion – I am still gutted. I now have high hopes for Lisa Nandy (mixed race heritage). I also admire David Lammy, not the least for his Herculean efforts to deliver some justice to the victims of the shameful Windrush scandal. The Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar is the first British Muslim to lead a major political party in the UK, and a lot of people believe that he has what it takes to revive Labour’s fortunes in Scotland... at least to some extent.

Other parties have members from ethnic minority backgrounds too, albeit not many that are well known. That said, the SNP’s Humza Yousaf (Scottish Secretary for Health and Care) has a reasonably high public profile, even outside of Scotland.         

Edited by code99
typo

14 minutes ago, code99 said:

The vicious anti-immigration sentiment being pursued by the Tories has only become particularly nasty since their right-wing hijacked the Party...

That got them elected and got 'Brexit sorted'. The red wall will be red once again next election as those who voted them in for Brexit have got what they want, and arguably, what they deserved.

The UK has a colourful history of that...such as when Churchill got kicked out after winning the war.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I finally saw a news report last night (ITN I think) where they were actually reporting on labour shortages and admitting they are going to need to relax immigration somehow and even finally mentioned some of the rubber boat people as one option. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

Sunak was booed on his return to Downing Street after seeing Chaz.

There are a lot of right wingers on the island. You only have to see the piles and piles of hate-filled Daily Wails delivered to newsagents every day to know that.

Which, of course, is reflected on MF. Hence the continual slagging Labour gets on here plus the support for Bozo and brexit etc etc.

Social media is thrumming with racist remarks against Sunak plus getting booed etc which shows just how racist UK society can be.

So I want all the brexiteers on here to consider how they have aligned themselves with a load of racists that took the UK out of the EU.

Unsavoury isn't it...?

Why can't you give a rest? Same old same old. Knob...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Why can't you give a rest? Same old same old. Knob...

Getting a bit fractious are we, as your precious brexit is being revealed as a pile of poo only morons would vote for?

Tory backer says UK economy is ‘frankly doomed’ without Brexit renegotiation

Guy Hands says Conservatives are putting country ‘on a path to be sick man of Europe’

The billionaire businessman Guy Hands has accused the Conservatives of putting the UK “on a path to be the sick man of Europe”, as he issued a series of stark predictions about what could lie ahead for the post-Brexit economy, including higher taxes and interest rates and fewer social services.

The founder and chair of the private equity firm Terra Firma, a longtime Tory supporter, called for the government to renegotiate Brexit, stating that otherwise the British economy was “frankly doomed”.

"The Brexit that was done is completely hopeless and will only drive Britain into a disastrous economic state.”

Hands called for a Tory leader with “the intellectual capability and the authority to renegotiate Brexit” and turn around the economy. “Without that, the economy is frankly doomed,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/24/tory-backer-says-uk-economy-is-frankly-doomed-without-brexit-renegotiation

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That got them elected and got 'Brexit sorted'. The red wall will be red once again next election as those who voted them in for Brexit have got what they want, and arguably, what they deserved.

The UK has a colourful history of that...such as when Churchill got kicked out after winning the war.

It wasn’t a vote against Churchill it was a vote for Labour. Who were part of Churchill’s government and running the the country whilst he concentrated on the war and foreign issues.  In fact it was Labour support that put him in place to replace Chamberlain because the Tories were split.