"The island should be energy self-sufficient" debate in Tynwald

Moghrey Mie

On 6/22/2023 at 8:00 PM, Roxanne said:

What? The last one I bought on eBay cost me £12!

Thanks for the head’s up! 

my old bulb went pop recently so I replaced it with a halogen bulb, same shape, wattage etc, seems to work just fine. definitely gets warm enough to get the wax flowing.

On 6/21/2023 at 4:57 PM, Omobono said:

would someone please tell me what town or village of 80;000 odd people  in the UK  self sufficient in energy ,?      we have become delusional l ,      we need a mix  of generation  with the ability to import from the UK  especially  from the wind generated  electricity in the Irish sea , take a lesson from jersey    !  and stop thinking we are world leaders in tackling global warming  ,were already a back water lets not become  a barren  and empty land and financially  bankrupt , because without some common  sense  thats the way we are heading , 

but, but we are world leaders in almost everything.

Never forget how well to the fore we are in the space race.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As long as he says investigate and not “implement “ he has a point.

Orher places have decided to use them so why not look in to it?

It does seem that the people making the decisions here have been brainwashed by solar and wind.  If they can show they looked into other options like small nuclear (and Crogga) and can actually show a reason not to consider them then fair enough.

I didn’t rate Perkins as an MHK but this at least deserves a proper response.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Let’s face it, should the island ever go down the small nuclear power route, where will it be located? Peel? Ramsey? Maughold? It will be installed in Pully Power Station! If that’s the case, do you think Sarah Maltby MHK Douglas South and Daddy Cretney will be happy? 

I've thought for a while now there is a real opportunity for the Island with hosting a SMR. You need a space of about four football pitches, so probably the Northern plain would be best. Massive (in IOM terms) infrastructure project, staff, increase in police for guarding all equals jobs. It could literally be free energy too, with the excess piped off to the UK. That would provide a massive advantage to business, potentially attracting more energy hungry companies, and substantially reduce the cost of living.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Let's be realistic here, a SMR is completely beyond IOMG financial capacity and operational capability.

Don't need to spend any money on a consultant or expert to confirm that. It's obvious.

IOMG haven't even got regulations in place to drill a gas well, never mind regulations for nuclear fisson reactions!!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Let's be realistic here, a SMR is completely beyond IOMG financial capacity and operational capability.

Don't need to spend any money on a consultant or expert to confirm that. It's obvious.

IOMG haven't even got regulations in place to drill a gas well, never mind regulations for nuclear fisson reactions!!

Well a few consultants & government workers well placed for a promotion may get a Porsche out of it, but yes I agree the reality of a SMR being delivered is close to 0

10 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I've thought for a while now there is a real opportunity for the Island with hosting a SMR. You need a space of about four football pitches, so probably the Northern plain would be best. Massive (in IOM terms) infrastructure project, staff, increase in police for guarding all equals jobs. It could literally be free energy too, with the excess piped off to the UK. That would provide a massive advantage to business, potentially attracting more energy hungry companies, and substantially reduce the cost of living.

they said that about north sea gas decades ago, 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Surely even a small nuclear reactor is far more power than we could ever use and would cost a large fortune. We'd have to sell the surplus on to the UK or Ireland, presuming they were buying. 

Depends what size you get.  You've got small reactors that power satellites, larger ones that power submarines and aircraft carriers and they don't have an excess they need to get rid of.  Just scale it appropriately. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Depends what size you get.  You've got small reactors that power satellites, larger ones that power submarines and aircraft carriers and they don't have an excess they need to get rid of.  Just scale it appropriately. 

we dont do scaling well over here,  see  meatplant, incinerator and prison for details

• Like 3