The Information Commissioner resigns

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If there is no Information Commissioner, does that mean the whole thing stops?  Presumably the staff work under delegated powers from the IC - no IC, no delegation. 

Does that mean I get my reg fee back pro rata?

11 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Oh boo hoo a bureaucratic arm of government isn't allowed to endlessly enlarge itself and suck up resources (never mind that most of their work will be 'mirrored' and require additional posts on whatever Departments/Boards they are extensively dealing with).

Most of GDPR is just an endless paper exercise requiring more and more resources for little benefit. Inevitably it just ends up making large organisations less efficient and small organisations don't have the resources so just effectively ignore it.

This.

• Like 1

Given some of the Govt conduct and facts and figures that FOI requests have elicited, conduct, facts and figures that have been funded by the taxpayer and that almost certainly wouldn't have come into the public domain otherwise - this Dept. should be the last place to have its funding cut IMHO.

• Like 6

On 6/29/2023 at 7:32 AM, Non-Believer said:

Given some of the Govt conduct and facts and figures that FOI requests have elicited, conduct, facts and figures that have been funded by the taxpayer and that almost certainly wouldn't have come into the public domain otherwise - this Dept. should be the last place to have its funding cut IMHO.

I think you point out exactly the reasons why Ian has been pushed out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Iain is certainly wanting to go out in a blaze of glory when it comes to pissing off IOM Government 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/information-commissioner-concerned-at-dois-attitude-to-access-to-information/

Information is not something the Manx Government like to share unless of course it defends the myth of a well regulated jurisdiction 

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Iain is certainly wanting to go out in a blaze of glory when it comes to pissing off IOM Government 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/information-commissioner-concerned-at-dois-attitude-to-access-to-information/

Thanks for posting this, it's what I referred to in the Crogga thread, that I caught on MR yesterday. Absolutely lacerating.

CT nor anybody else of an elected nature has any control over either that Dept or the CS in general.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Thanks for posting this, it's what I referred to in the Crogga thread, that I caught on MR yesterday. Absolutely lacerating.

CT nor anybody else of an elected nature has any control over either that Dept or the CS in general.

Iain MacDonald has been a pretty dogged campaigner for openness and transparency. I’m sure he’s off not least because of situations like this. He was never going to get more funding from Treasury while he continues to allow government departments to be embarrassed like this. The timing with the Cabo action is interesting too. If departments or officers can’t be trusted to abide by the law when it comes to FOI disclosures then we need a strong ICO to ensure that openness and fairness exists. 

• Like 4