Windfarm could cost up to £40 million

Major Rushen

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The end of life argument seems to be pushing a point for a desired outcome. 

The figures for a gas powered plant is 30 to 40 years. But even that does not make sense, because (based on no knowledge whatsoever) all they need to do is replace the gas turbines. Jet engines (turbines) are swapped every day somewhere in the world.

The building isn't going to fall down.

And, the lifetime of a wind turbine is 20 years - sometimes less.

Everything has an ecological cost. This is one of many photos of wind turbine blades being buried -

data63828716-aef3ba.thumb.jpg.fb2f6b43db884fffa1ec31a6d09e9c2d.jpg

• Like 1

Who is going to break the news to our unqualified netzero gang? Do we have a road map?

Al Jaber then said: “Please help me, show me the roadmap for a phase-out of fossil fuel that will allow for sustainable socioeconomic development, unless you want to take the world back into caves.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/03/back-into-caves-cop28-president-dismisses-phase-out-of-fossil-fuels

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You do know what a £1000,000,000 is. And you are saying it will cost multiples of this. Are they making the blades of solid gold, or are the putting 500 turbines up. Why are you quoting billions for a little off shore wind farm. If we stuck our five off shore I doubt it would come to a billion(though no doubt the gov and cs would prove me wrong with waste and incompetance), same as some one shouting new interconnector at 2.4 billion. Where are these figures coming from.

Interconnector figure comes from the Orup study on future energy supplies, was cost of interconnector & 30 years of leccy and most options were around £1.5-2bn when considered that way (if we're spending £50m+ on gas now + tens of million in capital payments not hard to imagine this being realistic). The actual interconnector was probably 10% of that 

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You do know what a £1000,000,000 is. And you are saying it will cost multiples of this. Are they making the blades of solid gold, or are the putting 500 turbines up. Why are you quoting billions for a little off shore wind farm. If we stuck our five off shore I doubt it would come to a billion(though no doubt the gov and cs would prove me wrong with waste and incompetance), same as some one shouting new interconnector at 2.4 billion. Where are these figures coming from.

I didn’t but jersey government do, I assume they’ve got their figures from a more reliable source than your fag packet!

https://www.gov.je/Government/Consultations/Pages/OffshoreWind.aspx

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Wouldn't a working windfarm have half paid for itself within 1 year

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-utilities-records-42-million-loss-over-past-year/

If only we had had one when gas was so expensive

Unfortunately we didn't and it would still have to be one hell of a windfarm to make a dent in the £55M+ a year that currently services the MUA's debts. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Unfortunately we didn't and it would still have to be one hell of a windfarm to make a dent in the £55M+ a year that currently services the MUA's debts. 

As I read it they paid £36M for gas in the year. If they had had 20MW of electricity from wind per day and a contribution from solar that could have saved £12M. If the cost of the Windfarm and solar is £40M that's a payback of just over 3 years. By my calculation. 

Not sure what the debts have to do with what I quoted. 

38 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

And no it wouldn't. A very modest windfarm could do that.

What size wind farm is required that would offset the MUA losses over 12 months? And how much would it cost?

Don't forget we need a new power station, network upgrade, storage capacity and a second interconnector. £2.5 billion costs at a minimum 

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

What size wind farm is required that would offset the MUA losses over 12 months? And how much would it cost?

Don't forget we need a new power station, network upgrade, storage capacity and a second interconnector. £2.5 billion costs at a minimum 

He said a dent. Not total offset. It would be a decent sized wind farm to payoff all the debt, plus the cost of the wind farm and completely replace gas for a significant period. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Wouldn't a working windfarm have half paid for itself within 1 year

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-utilities-records-42-million-loss-over-past-year/

If only we had had one when gas was so expensive

Smoke and mirrors. Gas price spiked early last year and futures were back to normal range by July. I reckon they have created a paper loss to justify another future tariff hike. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just been reading an article on a new wind turbine development in Germany.

Currently the tallest are around 200m.  A firm in Bavaria however has been testing a 300m option and found that the energy yield will be twice that of standard turbines. 

A single 300m turbine could supply around 8,000 households with energy.

This is the best bit though.... 

There has been little resistance to the project so far in and around the rural area of Schipkau, partly because Gicon already operates a wind farm there and has been paying the local population a share of the proceeds!