TT 2024

Andy Onchan

6 hours ago, Gizo said:

Bit early yet for my predictions. 

need to wind up fool and his money, Helix and Max power into a frothing stupor first. 

Bet it's a long time since anyone frothed for you.

• Haha 2

Just now, CrazyDave said:

That confirms that then 😂

How so. 
if it’s some attempt at sexual humour it’s not even funny and yet I’ve never known someone frothing, squirting yes but frothing.

• Haha 2

I can't link ('cos I'm a bit of a dino) but this podcast from "The Man who saved the TT" is raising a few hackles on the TT FB pages at the moment (although to be fair, he also appears to have his dyed in the wool supporters too).

Comments like, "I actually don't like motorcycles" and "It's not about racing now, it's all about money", or words to that effect won't win him too many more fans though...maybe somebody should ask him about merchandise contractors.

Screenshot_20240115-123121_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I can't link ('cos I'm a bit of a dino) but this podcast from "The Man who saved the TT" is raising a few hackles on the TT FB pages at the moment (although to be fair, he also appears to have his dyed in the wool supporters too).

Comments like, "I actually don't like motorcycles" and "It's not about racing now, it's all about money", or words to that effect won't win him too many more fans though...maybe somebody should ask him about merchandise contractors.

Screenshot_20240115-123121_Facebook.jpg

He may come in for a lot of criticism but it's got to be recognised that a lot of things which have been done by him and his team in the past have ensured that the TT is still with us. Despite working for government I believe that they have a lot of different groups to satisfy and securing funding isn't always easy. 

You don't have to look far to see that it could so easily be swept away, and having people whose job it is to keep it running and relevant is vital when voluntary organisations would have had to throw in the towel long ago. I know that isn't a popular view but we live in different times unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

He may come in for a lot of criticism but it's got to be recognised that a lot of things which have been done by him and his team in the past have ensured that the TT is still with us. Despite working for government I believe that they have a lot of different groups to satisfy and securing funding isn't always easy. 

You don't have to look far to see that it could so easily be swept away, and having people whose job it is to keep it running and relevant is vital when voluntary organisations would have had to throw in the towel long ago. I know that isn't a popular view but we live in different times unfortunately.

I'm very much ambivalent about the TT, it's great if you like that kind of thing. 

But when it comes to who 'saved' it, much like the island's heritage railways, more credit needs to be given to the island's taxpayer without who the event wouldn't exist. 

It may benefit the event if some of these senior personalities were on fixed term contracts, say 5 years, so things get freshened up every so often and it doesn't become a little empire for some individuals. 

Probably the biggest thing that will sustain the TT is that it is responsible for many civil servant jobs. That alone will mean it continues for years to come (until the public finances dictate otherwise). 

17 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

It may benefit the event if some of these senior personalities were on fixed term contracts, say 5 years, so things get freshened up every so often and it doesn't become a little empire for some individuals. 

Totally agree. This guy needs to go, universally disliked by many racers, fans, seniors in the marshaling structure and marshals.

The TT/MGP should have a collective agenda, not an individual agenda driven by one man, which many people see as the likely demise of the MGP in particular. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

TBF. Maybe PP has the long term agenda firmly in sight? Maybe he knows that something has to give and he is working so that the MGP is the first to go? Even if the TT follows some years later?

I don't follow the events  to know the stats but it seems to me that the MGP is an 'Amateur Event' and that the Families and friends of the riders are more used to the 'relatively' safer English circuits where they don't perceive the risks to be as high as here on the TT Course and so, serious accidents have a greater affect on the survivors???

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

TBF. Maybe PP has the long term agenda firmly in sight? Maybe he knows that something has to give and he is working so that the MGP is the first to go? Even if the TT follows some years later?

I don't follow the events  to know the stats but it seems to me that the MGP is an 'Amateur Event' and that the Families and friends of the riders are more used to the 'relatively' safer English circuits where they don't perceive the risks to be as high as here on the TT Course and so, serious accidents have a greater affect on the survivors???

There's no shortage of competitors wishing to race at the MGP, it's just that all races are limited to 60 starters now and the qualifying criteria has been tightened up.  

I do understand that Max but there must be hundreds of circuit  riders who believe they can qualify and so will try to?

For a circuit racer where the biggest danger is that the bike will bounce on top of you, the lure of the TT course is the pinnacle of their ambition but how many Families persuade them not to come here?

We don't have sand traps!

Edited by Kopek