40k for Douglas Council to polish the first section of a turd

CrazyDave

more seaweed being piled up today  and I see a black barrier has been installed in front of a zebra crossing on the sea side of the promenade just before the Empress , its actually blocking the tactile paving that blind and poorly sighted people use to identify a safe place to cross , so now pedestrians have to walk around it to cross 

is it part of the preparations  for the construction  of phase 2 of Hadrians  wall ? who knows only money still being wasted down there , and is it the Corporation  or the DOI who have responsibility for the beach ? cant quite work that out 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

more seaweed being piled up today  and I see a black barrier has been installed in front of a zebra crossing on the sea side of the promenade just before the Empress , its actually blocking the tactile paving that blind and poorly sighted people use to identify a safe place to cross , so now pedestrians have to walk around it to cross 

is it part of the preparations  for the construction  of phase 2 of Hadrians  wall ? who knows only money still being wasted down there , and is it the Corporation  or the DOI who have responsibility for the beach ? cant quite work that out 

I saw that the other day.  Absolute genius.

I take it they will paint those scabby railings they have just put in before easter?

4 hours ago, 2bees said:

They’re to put a bust in the ever popular (never seen anyone in it) Hutchinson park, replacing a sundial - why could we have both? Bit bonkers imho.

Why celebrate holding someone prisoner for a year with a bust at all? Kurt would probably be like "Er, thanks but no thanks."

• Like 1

They have got to put it somewhere  I expect the connection is Hutchinson square was where some prisoners of war were housed.    If there was room in that brilliant little museum near the airport that has a great collection of wartime historical memorabilia it could have gone there now that is worth a visit and run by volunteers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Did DBC buy the bust?

[Reminds me of old films - "Is this some kind of bust? Yes, it's very impressive"]

They are asking the arts council for a grant for a plinth to put it on, I guess DBC will have to pay for any associated works.

Is the arts council funded 100% by the tax payer? Feels like Seagull 2.0, did that ever appear?

59 minutes ago, cissolt said:

They are asking the arts council for a grant for a plinth to put it on, I guess DBC will have to pay for any associated works.

Is the arts council funded 100% by the tax payer? Feels like Seagull 2.0, did that ever appear?

Mostly funded from Lottery Grants.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Mostly funded from Lottery Grants.

No, it gets a direct sum from the lottery duty tax. 

Here is the 22/23 funding. Nothing goes from Lottery Trust to IoM Arts Council.

Lottery Trust also gets all the dormant assets funds 

IMG_5316.jpeg

On 1/16/2024 at 12:26 PM, slinkydevil said:

Why celebrate holding someone prisoner for a year with a bust at all? Kurt would probably be like "Er, thanks but no thanks."

I love it when people presume to speak on behalf of the long dead.

Maybe he'd be happy that a fellow artist got a bit of work. Personally I think commemorating a place where he was able to create work despite less than ideal circumstances isn't a bad thing. 

This is an interesting piece. https://vanabbemuseum.nl/en/collection/isle-of-man

• Like 1

@slinkydevil it’s not just celebrating Kurt Schwitters, but the flowering of art, science and philosophy that took place there, in the most unlikely of circumstances.

Hutchinson “P” Camp was a hotbed of artistic and academic endeavour. These weren’t Nazis, they were refugees, people who had escaped Austria and Germany, and were legally in the UK, who were caught up in the hysteria of the early days of the war. It’s been described by some historians as “the most elite university in the world” in 1940/1.

It was like a university. Older writers, painters, musicians, sculptors, scientists, philosophers, teaching younger. Some were very young, fresh off the kindertransport. Others were married to Brits, but still had German nationality, and had lived in the UK for years, teachers, academics, scientists.

It was the greatest concentration of artistic talent the Island has ever experienced.

Some were shipped off to Canada and their ship was torpedoed.

Most were let go within 12 or 18 months and contributed to valuable allied war work.

I knew a lady, a doctor who qualified in Vienna in 1936, Jewish, fled before Anschluss. Wasn’t allowed to work in England as a Dr by the BMA. Worked as an unqualified nurse supporting her younger sister. Sent to IoM and interned on Port St Mary prom, in Rushen Camp. 

After 12 months she was released. BMA recognised her qualifications. She worked in hospitals in London all through the war, and then became a GP in London’s East End. She was typical.

There are two or three reasonable recent books on Hutchinson, as well as Connery Chappell’s “ Island of Barbed Wire “

Ark of Civilisation

The Island of Extraordinary Captives

Barbed Wire University 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...