£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

39 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Totally agree. Was there people really getting paracetamol on prescription though?! Or is that smoke & mirrors to make it look like we're going to save a load of money for something that wasn't really a problem to start with.

Yes, that was my immediate impression as well.  If you look at the press release there's no estimate of what savings there will be and as Lily points out there can be valid reasons for prescribing over-the-counter medications.  Not least because a doctor may want to make sure that correct doses etc are followed and monitored.  There may not be that much actual prescribing and much of it may be covered by the exceptions.  Apart from anything else pharmacists will usually point out if something can be obtained cheaper than the prescription charge.

This looks very much like Manx Care deciding to issue a press release that they think will play well with Daily Mail readers rather than any actual attempt to save money or reduce bureaucracy - indeed it may increase it with GPs now having to justify the exceptions.

3 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I have never requested , expected or been offered a prescription from our Doctors surgery for any minor illness the only time I have been given paracetamol is by the hospital when I have been discharged after surgery and then just a small amount to tide me over until I could obtain some.   It is good though to show willing to start making economies.     For the past few years our surgery has a recall system when patients attend the surgery and there ongoing medication is checked so no one is getting unnecessary meds.

Your point regarding hoarding of medication is valid.  Although I think most Doctors review patients meds on a regular basis, and if they don't, they should. 

I wonder if this type of waste cost is calculated anywhere.

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Looking at the of island travel Watty doesn’t of do some, he’d be better of staying here to get his teeth stuck into Alfy and his gang and putting his hat in the ring for chief minister he’s been there long enough to know the system inside out. 

I'm afraid Watty is wedded to the dressing up box to consider the top job, after all there's no CM uniform!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

There could also be a valid reason for a one-off prescription for paracetamol.  But otherwise, l do agree, as its so cheap to buy.

I did have a situation where it was necessary for a prescription to be written for paracetamol. 

So there may need to be exceptions.

I think the dosages are different for over the counter and prescribed paracetamol?

Or that might be paracetamol and codine.  I remember after an operation years ago noticing a difference. 

But this does then play into the notion that if you REALLY need it for a serious ailment, then it is prescribed.

• Like 1

There's limits on quantities of painkillers (nonprescription) that you can buy over the counter, in Shoprite for instance they won't let you buy more than one (or two?) boxes of paracetamol even, at once, let alone the stronger nonprescription stuff so if it's needed in larger quantities it will have to remain prescription for some, I'd suggest?

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There's limits on quantities of painkillers (nonprescription) that you can buy over the counter, in Shoprite for instance they won't let you buy more than one (or two?) boxes of paracetamol even, at once, let alone the stronger nonprescription stuff so if it's needed in larger quantities it will have to remain prescription for some, I'd suggest?

Hooper already confirmed that those with long term ailments eg most in nags head in mornings will continue to receive on prescription it’s stopping for those who call into doctors with a headache and want prescription, one off cystitis etc episodes which just clogs doctors surgeries.

51 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I think the dosages are different for over the counter and prescribed paracetamol?

Or that might be paracetamol and codine.  I remember after an operation years ago noticing a difference. 

But this does then play into the notion that if you REALLY need it for a serious ailment, then it is prescribed.

Yes, its co-codamol. You can buy 8mg codine/500mg paracetamol, but 15 or 30mg are prescription only. And they only really put the paracetamol in it to stop people having fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Paracetamol is the same. Max dose is 1g 4x per day. It’s the codeine you’re thinking of. Mixed with paracetamol as co-codamol the otc stuff is 8/500 (8mg Codeine + 500mg paracetamol) and prescribed you might get 30/500 - almost 4x the strength of codeine. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Freeze govt recruitment outside of health

Wind turbine plan in the bin. Save £25 million less cost to buy the nearby houses.

Douglas sea wall plan in the bin. £5 million.

Heritage railway plan and active travel fund binned. £5 million

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/call-for-heritage-trail-bridge-reinstatement-to-be-considered/

Cut off island travel for all govt workers. Training should be fully remote

Interconnector feasibility study has £3 million in funding this year.

Nautical museum 90,000 allocated back in the pot.

£40 million climate fund revoked and back in the pot.

We don't need to lose front line services, we need to make sure departments are delivering services we want and not vanity nonsense 

1. Wind turbine - essential for the planet.
  2. No sea wall for Douglas - no more Douglas (poss. not a bad thing).
  3. No railway - new footpath - bravo!
  4. Sod the new home for Peggy.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

This looks very much like Manx Care deciding to issue a press release that they think will play well with Daily Mail readers rather than any actual attempt to save money or reduce bureaucracy - indeed it may increase it with GPs now having to justify the exceptions

So it’s either a pointless savings whitewash from Manx Care - or a conspiracy theory?

…I must be on MF…🙂

Edited by Jarndyce

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm afraid Watty is wedded to the dressing up box to consider the top job, after all there's no CM uniform!

Would you? The next CM has a poisoned chalice if ever there was one. One term and probably gone. As Speaker he could be there until they have to wheel him out.

41 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:
  1. Wind turbine - essential for the planet.
  2. No sea wall for Douglas - no more Douglas (poss. not a bad thing).
  3. No railway - new footpath - bravo!
  4. Sod the new home for Peggy.

Plenty of footpaths without destroying the railway which earns tourist pounds for the Island.

• Like 3