To pee or not to pee

Too many kids with their smartphone in one hand and a vape in the other - all day long. Some are tripping off to the toilet in every lesson and gaming the system. The teachers and the school leaders can't stop them and they all know it. The Education Department won't back the schools on this because they don't want loads of kids suspended or expelled. The last head teacher at Ballakermeen who stood up to the kids was retired early very shortly after. Mr Corrin is absolutely right on this but he'll get no support from the Dept; the parents; the kids; most of his staff; or the public. He's in an impossible position that he can't win. I wish him well though, he's a good man trying to do the right thing.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Dept will support him if the politicians press the Department. Where are the political voices in all this?

Obviously not the most severe problem confronting us but if such a minor matter can't be sorted out then there's not much hope is there.

ETA:

IoM Educ 01.png

Edited by Barlow

Lots of experts on here who (apparently) know what school kids do in the school toilets - but does anybody work in a school?

Does anybody on this thread have any stats on what actual percentage of kids are skiving off to vape/use their phone/whatever?

Because otherwise, it’s coming off like Statler & Waldorf moaning on about the stereotype of “the kids these days”.

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Lots of experts on here who (apparently) know what school kids do in the school toilets - but does anybody work in a school?

Does anybody on this thread have any stats on what actual percentage of kids are skiving off to vape/use their phone/whatever?

Because otherwise, it’s coming off like Statler & Waldorf moaning on about the stereotype of “the kids these days”.

Sounds like you've made up your mind already, but yes, I've been there, got the tee-shirt, and got out. I only describe what I've seen and witnessed over many years. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

So is there a problem with bladders in young people on the Isle of Man? Seriously, is there? What is your esteemed opinion for this behaviour?

I can't ever remember needing the bog during lessons. Infants and primary memory a bit hazy, but definitely not at secondary school. Ever. I think we'd think there was something seriously wrong with a classmate who needed to leave in the middle of a lesson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Yeah, my brother does actually.  He confirms that a significant amount of kids use it purely as an excuse to fuck about and bunk lessons. 

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

TBF, people are reacting to a) the need to make this rule, presumably there is an issue of some sort,  and b) the reaction of some parents.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah, my brother does actually.  He confirms that a significant amount of kids use it purely as an excuse to fuck about and bunk lessons. 

Sure they do.  When I was at school, we used to use the 'time of the month' gag to get out of swimming.  Worked every time. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Lots of those parents whose kids are causing problems don’t care about what they do, many have lots of addiction issues and don’t work. The parents quite often have been brought up in similar circumstances.

Its a result of social deprivation although sometimes by sense of entitlement by parents & children 

It is also a result of feral parents bringing up feral kids.

Going to the toilet during lessons is unnecessary and should be banned, except in emergency circumstances. I very much doubt the kids will wet themselves. The social embarrassment would be too much. 

20 minutes ago, Barlow said:

What is your esteemed opinion

Hard to have an “esteemed opinion” when I don’t work in a school and don’t have school-age kids - that was kind of my point really,  and why I was asking what I did.

35 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

My daughter is Head of Humanities at her school (I know, very proud of her) they have mostly Muslim students and the majority are well behaved, grateful for education and studious. Not all kids are bad … just the entitled ones 😂 

There was a spate of TikTok videos of children vandalizing toilets, perhaps it’s preventing things like that going on?

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Sounds like you've made up your mind already,

Nope - I haven’t seen any evidence.   Just wondered if anyone else had any, or it was just a collective knee-jerk about “feral” parents and “feral” kids.