To pee or not to pee

I as discussing vaping with an young person who has recently left school and was told that the year 11s were accused of setting the fire alarms off until a teacher went into the boys toilets and found some little prick holding a lighted match under the fire alarm and this had apparently been done on numerous occasions so perhaps a prefect could undertake toilet duty and stop all this nonsense.    Some toilets were locked in break time which seems ridiculous to me if you are trying to encourage children to use the toilet then.   I still maintain no child should be prevented from going to the toilet when they need to.

• Like 1

There are regular offenders with regards to the issue of leaving the classroom. Those students need to be identified and dealt with. It’s the same ones. Some have problems with specific lessons and teachers. They don’t need the toilet, they just have no concentration span and get bored very easily. Children need structure and guidelines, not to be left to indulge in their every want and desire.

Minority ruining it for the majority.

• Like 3

The majority of that would probably the same group of students. They need to be identified and establish the reasons behind each one’s useage. It’s the same with vaping. Some are doing it to be cool, others have a mental health condition that is fueling it and that needs sorting out.

12 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

It’s the same with vaping. Some are doing it to be cool, others have a mental health condition that is fueling it and that needs sorting out.

Do you have a link to demonstrate that assertion?   I’d be interested to see any evidence.

I’ve seen some studies suggesting that vaping can cause mental health issues in children and adolescents - but not that pre-existing mental health issues can cause them to take up vaping.

Edited by Jarndyce
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just like pretty much everything these days people kick off online like it's the biggest injustice ever then a week later nobody cares. 

I did see some bloke trying to get the head teacher to have a debate with him on manx radio which I found pretty funny

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

"BHS students used toilets during lessons 850 times last week."

Does that seem reasonable?

In my day that would have been less than 8.

I suggest that all the pee-ers be put in the same class and leave them to it. It means they will have a lifetime of dole and drug dealing I realise, but it would allow the children who want to learn and be educated to progress

But that was the beauty of comprehensive education and inclusivity. We put all the kids who didn't want to learn in the same classes as those that did. We were promised that it would level up education. The reality was somewhat different but nobody listened. That's how we've ended up where we are with the kids effectively in charge, because the teachers have little real power or authority. It's mostly nominal authority.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Barlow said:

In my day that would have been less than 8.

I suggest that all the pee-ers be put in the same class and leave them to it. It means they will have a lifetime of dole and drug dealing I realise, but it would allow the children who want to learn and be educated to progress

Good idea. Perhaps they could use the toilet as a classroom.
Cut out the middle man, kind of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/concerns-continue-over-bhs-toilet-policy/

It's not going to last. Again the minority ruin it for the majority. My daughter won't go to the toilet at the school she's at due to the vaping and gangs. That started in year 7 and now she is in year 9.

Identify the main culprits and get a plan together for them, don't stop everyone else who can regulate themselves correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1