What is the story with the Post?

Manxweegie

That's PR guff. Apologies for the cynicism. 

Perhaps we could keep a general log record here for reference. I appreciate that it is a difficult situation but I think clarity and a better degree of certainty is required.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s my understanding, from a social conversation with an IoM Post employee, that

outgoing post is collected from post boxes in the morning, sorted and goes off Island the same day. However it may have been in box for up to 23 hours before collection. So it may not get off Island until late on day 2 after posting.

it arrives at the UK post office sorting office in the morning of what can be either day 2 or 3. It’s then shunted around to the UK to delivery centres.

Delivery, all things being equal, will be on day 3 or 4, at best if everything goes without a hitch.

incoming post is collected, sorted and goes to the sorting centre from which it is despatched to the Island. It’s scanned there and the programme shows it having left the UK post office even although it may be 24/36 hours minimum, and longer with weekends and public holidays, before the trailer gets taken to Heysham. So the info on tracking isn’t actually accurate. It measures a point in time seriously before it reaches Cooil Road

What tracking? The last three letters addressed to me from UK to IOM were the signed-for service and trackable; each time they took 8 days to arrive and absolutely no tracking information available at all apart from the very first entry confirming receipt.

Given what you say above perhaps IOMP should accept delivery in UK and arrange delivery to the Island instead of leaving it up to a bunch of clowns who are only interested in their year end bonuses and shagging sub-postmasters!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What tracking? The last three letters addressed to me from UK to IOM were the signed-for service and trackable; each time they took 8 days to arrive and absolutely no tracking information available at all apart from the very first entry confirming receipt.

Given what you say above perhaps IOMP should accept delivery in UK and arrange delivery to the Island instead of leaving it up to a bunch of clowns who are only interested in their year end bonuses and shagging sub-postmasters!

But they do accept delivery, that will not speed up the process within Royal Mail.  Even before the loss of the mail plane, if you tracked an item from the UK it would show as delivered, but that was just that it had been scanned for delivery into an IOM Post hub.  Whether it was actually there is anyone's guess as it would be another day or two before would be received.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

That’s not what Royal Mail allows, they put mail in containers and they deliver it to heysham and are solely responsible for getting it to IOM , same for all offshore islands including Scottish islands 

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

But they do accept delivery, that will not speed up the process within Royal Mail.  Even before the loss of the mail plane, if you tracked an item from the UK it would show as delivered, but that was just that it had been scanned for delivery into an IOM Post hub.  Whether it was actually there is anyone's guess as it would be another day or two before would be received.  

Sorry Glad, as I said the last three signed-for items were not updated, even on the IOM system and after they were delivered! No word of a lie.

Does anyone know where the IOM Post Hub is in the UK? Does IOMP even know where it is? When you ask at IOMP no one is able to give you a straight answer. 

I buy veggie seeds online and the producer/seller uses the RM 48hr service for the delivery. The last letter sized package I tracked (a small jiffy bag) was collected in Worcestershire and went directly to Preston the same day/evening . It then went down south to the Princess Royal Hub in north London(!) and sat there for two days, then back up north to Leeds for another 24 hours then over to Preston. The next I heard was when it was delivered three days later. It did appear on the IOMP website as being delivered but was shown on the RM tracking site as still being in Preston. So clearly the two systems don't 'talk' to each other.

RM letter post, as you have stated, is now a second class service unless you pay for the premium. I think what RM need to do is be upfront with its customers and redefine the timescales for their service levels and for IOMP to assume responsibility at the earliest opportunity.

22 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Sorry Glad, as I said the last three signed-for items were not updated, even on the IOM system and after they were delivered! No word of a lie.

Does anyone know where the IOM Post Hub is in the UK? Does IOMP even know where it is? When you ask at IOMP no one is able to give you a straight answer. 

I buy veggie seeds online and the producer/seller uses the RM 48hr service for the delivery. The last letter sized package I tracked (a small jiffy bag) was collected in Worcestershire and went directly to Preston the same day/evening . It then went down south to the Princess Royal Hub in north London(!) and sat there for two days, then back up north to Leeds for another 24 hours then over to Preston. The next I heard was when it was delivered three days later. It did appear on the IOMP website as being delivered but was shown on the RM tracking site as still being in Preston. So clearly the two systems don't 'talk' to each other.

RM letter post, as you have stated, is now a second class service unless you pay for the premium. I think what RM need to do is be upfront with its customers and redefine the timescales for their service levels and for IOMP to assume responsibility at the earliest opportunity.

Not doubting you Andy, just saying the issue may be before stuff gets anywhere near IOM Post.  As for the the systems talking to each other, you do realise we are a strongly independent jurisdiction who will not bow down to any imposition by the UK? :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I had an item dispatched 18th March UK which I received here 4th April (!)
However, it is still showing at the hub on 3rd April. I realise it is perhaps neither here nor there because I have the item now (at long last) but there is something not right with the system.

PostOfficetracking.thumb.jpg.29088afb7c78bd5dceeb148396f5f960.jpg

ETA: the item was a guitar string and the envelope size that of a small letter.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

That’s not what Royal Mail allows, they put mail in containers and they deliver it to heysham and are solely responsible for getting it to IOM , same for all offshore islands including Scottish islands 

TIme for a change then and some out of the box thinking. Otherwise the private sector will do it for them.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

TIme for a change then and some out of the box thinking. Otherwise the private sector will do it for them.

If Hermes (as was) is anything to go by that will be a disaster. Change of name to Evri did nothing to improve anything from my experiences. 

51 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Working for the Royal Mail sounded like an ideal job. But I discovered it’s falling apart, just like its vans

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/08/quit-royal-mail-falling-apart

Like so many public services that were handed over to be raped and run into the ground by the institutions in the City with totally inadequate regulation.

RM, Water to name just two.

• Like 2

Since i moved back to the Island i have stopped paying attention to any of the tracking. It is never right and always shows as being sat in a hub somewhere despite it having arrived. This is the same for amazon parcels which more or less all show that they are yet to be delivered and could apply for a refund if i wanted. As its the seller who would lose out I leave it but post feedback so the seller is notified of the parcels arrival. 

As for IOMP and postage - i recently sent a small parcel to a friend for her birthday and paid for the parcel to arrive before her birthday ( I didnt post last minute either) and yet despite paying close to £10 to ensure a faster delivery the parcel still arrived a day late.  I would blame the RM but whilst living in England I did not experience similar issues therefore i put this down to a combo of IOMP dithering with the mail whilst on island and RM for prioritising other mail over the IOM. 

• Like 1