What is the story with the Post?

Manxweegie

1 hour ago, Manxweegie said:

Just to add to a few comments and something i should have posted at the start - all these items were posted Royal Mail Tracked 48.

Definitely Royal Mail issue, lots going missing etc. looking to change some items to be delivered only every other day & cut lots of delivery slots to save money 

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Problem lies with Royal Mail, not IoMPO. Huge and well-documented problems.

IoMPO does not have the facilities or space to "hoard" mail and delivers what arrives to the island from UK on the same or the next day wherever possible. 

Stu if you are reading this, please explain the process/mechanism of how and where RM liability starts and ends when mail is destined for IOM.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Stu if you are reading this, please explain the process/mechanism of how and where RM liability starts and ends when mail is destined for IOM.

Thanks.

I'd say (and I'm not Stu) that RM liability starts when the item is posted in the UK (awaiting collection) and ends when they deliver the container trailer to Heysham.

Re. the last part, through hold-ups for various reasons in the UK, to include being snarled up because of motorway crashes etc, the trailer occasionally misses its scheduled sailing and has wait for the next one. But there is also a huge variation in mail processing speeds throughout areas of the UK. I waited 10 days for a small packet posted in Liverpool; I can get something from Gloucestershire in 2 days.

Once it's on the boat, to the point of delivery to the door, it's IoMPO's responsibility.

16 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Ah OK. They've privatised Royal Mail. Banker will be along in a minute to tell you how much more efficient that makes the service.

Banker must have a huge amount of Royal Mail privatisation shares, and is likely a very greedy barstard that cares not for the plight of others.

I have highlighted elsewhere how our on-island business can no longer continue due to the mail situation. We could no longer compete.

The mail plane was stopped in around October, which meant up until then, and all being well, mail delivered in Douglas up to close of business arrived in the Birmingham mail hub that late evening/night. Now it relies on the boat as well as that traie da looary thingy. Royal mail made the unilateral decision to stop the plane with little or no consultation with Isle of Man post, I understand.

The Isle of Man has become a backwater again. But it will keep Royal Mail greedy shareholders happy.

Edited by Casta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same story here but my point of posting was Foxdale, I posted cards a week last Wednesday ago, thinking they would get to the people before I’d get to see them… I’ve been to Europe and back (well, not quite back yet because my flight today has been cancelled) but my cards have not been delivered, one was only going from Foxdale to Douglas a pigeon would have had it delivered more efficiently! 
The Post Office was ace but now it’s just another profit driven pile of corporate bull, with no care or concern for its customers! 
Seemingly they couldn’t afford to lay people off, poor service get worse. I remember when you posted a letter or card in the evening and it was delivered the following day, shame.

Edited by 2bees
Too early
  • Like 3

The postbox near me used to be emptied around 5.00 pm and any local post was delivered the next day, now the postbox gets emptied at 10.30 am and god knows when it gets delivered this downward slide in service has happened in the past few months.   Everything service wise seems to be going backwards in spite of costing more.   

Cue Stu to pop up and tell us that everything is done by email these days and there is no real need for post. (Which is on a par of him going up in the air in a plane and telling us there is loads and loads of land for more houses)

25 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The postbox near me used to be emptied around 5.00 pm and any local post was delivered the next day, now the postbox gets emptied at 10.30 am and god knows when it gets delivered this downward slide in service has happened in the past few months.   Everything service wise seems to be going backwards in spite of costing more.   

All post boxes used to be emptied twice a day, early in the morning (after 6am) and late afternoon (after 4pm) by dedicated collection rounds (some of the "busier" boxes, 3 times a day).

That has now changed with most boxes only being emptied once a day, after 10am, and by postmen on their regular delivery rounds. (Only busier boxes are still emptied twice a day). "Savings", doncha know.

That means the 10am collections now miss the early daily sorting time, so at best they don't get delivered until the next day or day after if it has to be distributed around the island.

This is to allow focus on the more profitable parcels side of things and to shed a lot of manual/delivery staff.

Stu Peter's recent Tynwald edict about only 11 redundancies is only part of the story (as to be expected from any Tynwald answer; Moorehouse's question was not searching enough).

• Like 2

We had a UK advertising catalogue delivered yesterday (Friday 5 April) with a flash on the literature telling us that the "Special Offers end this Thursday".

The offers ended on Thursday 28 March.

There were no hints as to when it had been sent.

Packages sent on 24 March, "Tracked 48", arrived here on 4 April.

There was a documentary on Royal Mail a couple of weeks ago.  Parcels are being prioritised over letter mail, that this was policy was something raised during the recent round in the Post Office inquiry. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 2:53 PM, Non-Believer said:

Problem lies with Royal Mail, not IoMPO. Huge and well-documented problems.

IoMPO does not have the facilities or space to "hoard" mail and delivers what arrives to the island from UK on the same or the next day wherever possible. 

I would so much like that to be the case but nah, I can't see it. I've tracked too much post to let me doubt what you say.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:11 PM, 2112 said:

If you want as near to next day delivery you are better off posting either signed for or special delivery. You can also track your letters progress. 

Are you divulging your wisdom here from repeated personal experience, or just picking up on what someone has said on Facebook or something? (genuine question)

Could someone please show a diagram of what happens with post when it is sent off/to and on the Island. With a timeline, allowing for the boat weather factor etc. Perhaps @Stu Peters could arrange this. It would stop all speculation and doubt and put the customer in the picture. Incidentally, when the mail plane was going I didn't need a diagram, as I knew that my mail to UK arrived the following day. Everytime. Now it's a case of fucknose.

It’s my understanding, from a social conversation with an IoM Post employee, that

outgoing post is collected from post boxes in the morning, sorted and goes off Island the same day. However it may have been in box for up to 23 hours before collection. So it may not get off Island until late on day 2 after posting.

it arrives at the UK post office sorting office in the morning of what can be either day 2 or 3. It’s then shunted around to the UK to delivery centres.

Delivery, all things being equal, will be on day 3 or 4, at best if everything goes without a hitch.

incoming post is collected, sorted and goes to the sorting centre from which it is despatched to the Island. It’s scanned there and the programme shows it having left the UK post office even although it may be 24/36 hours minimum, and longer with weekends and public holidays, before the trailer gets taken to Heysham. So the info on tracking isn’t actually accurate. It measures a point in time seriously before it reaches Cooil Road

• Like 1