Noisy Cars

Max Power

Jason is asking questions again, this time about what government is going to do about noisy cars, no mention of bikes at this point. As far as I'm aware, there is already a maximum decibel limit for car (and bike) exhausts, surely we don't need more legislation, just enforcement?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/new-laws-to-ban-noisy-vehicles/

Having said that, I don't mind a sporty exhaust note on a car, as long as it's not being driven around and around the block or deliberately being revved up. It just sounds like the usual grumpy old gits making out that the problem is bigger than it actually is. Ideal for Jason Seagull to make himself heard in the Keys again! 

• Like 4

He's probably been asked about it directly from some of his constituents. 

There is some complete wanker been driving around Castletown and presumably other places in this stupid tiny little blue car that might be a fiat panda with a ridiculous rumbling exhaust that screams 'look at me I'm a giant dickhead'. 

Might have caught someones attention.

• Like 5

This is what we need in national politics. Addressing financial black holes and developing the best small island healthcare system in the WORLD. Hooper and access to the Round House is at it as well. #punchingabovetheirweight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It amuses me. Why on earth do they do it? An exhaust system is there to muffle the noise of the engine. If it makes a din instead, it's like having a fridge that heats food up, a washing machine that soils clothing, a lamp that emits darkness, you get the idea. Do they believe it makes them look like they have big dicks? They're feckin' eejits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

It amuses me. Why on earth do they do it? An exhaust system is there to muffle the noise of the engine. If it makes a din instead, it's like having a fridge that heats food up, a washing machine that soils clothing, a lamp that emits darkness, you get the idea. Do they believe it makes them look like they have big dicks? They're feckin' eejits.

its all about drawing attention to ones self  ! what I object to is the bastard that drives s up my road in the early hours of the morning and every time he changes gear there is an almighty bang that  wakens the  whole neighbourhood   some of these garages are also responsible for mapping these cars  so that they do back fire ,I dont think we have a traffic police division anymore  who    years ago would have  stamped this anti social practice out   and I also notice texting and using a mobile phone while driving  is on the increase again  particularly  when drivers are heading home   after work ,

33 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well not quite, in anything remotely sporty the exhaust is absotuley also designed to sound good, and to create the correct amount of backpressure for the engine, and to filter particulates.

But in the case of these chavs, it's usually that they want their car to sound like it's a good car, but they couldn't afford one with the right number of cylinders (which is 8, by the way) to achieve that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Well not quite, in anything remotely sporty the exhaust is absotuley also designed to sound good, and to create the correct amount of backpressure for the engine, and to filter particulates.

But in the case of these chavs, it's usually that they want their car to sound like it's a good car, but they couldn't afford one with the right number of cylinders (which is 8, by the way) to achieve that.

Define "good". Surely nice and smooth and as quiet as possible is optimum. I don't particularly have a bee in my bonnet about it. I'm not tearing my hair out. I just think it marks them out as total tossers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

Define "good". Surely nice and smooth and as quiet as possible is optimum. I don't particularly have a bee in my bonnet about it. I'm not tearing my hair out. I just think it marks them out as total tossers.

No! Optimum is buying a V8, obviously:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

Sort of. A sporty exhaust on a sporty car will make a difference to power. Its all about making the exit of gases more efficient and less restricted. Together with getting more air and fuel into the engine, through less restrictive air filters and tinkering with the ECU and fuel pump/injectors.

Sticking a big exhaust on a 1 litre Fiesta is just going to make the conversion of petrol into noise more efficient. 

Agreed on the V8 though. But a V6 does love to sing. 

This might be the only thing that you and  @Stu Peters might agree upon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

its all about drawing attention to ones self  ! what I object to is the bastard that drives s up my road in the early hours of the morning and every time he changes gear there is an almighty bang that  wakens the  whole neighbourhood   some of these garages are also responsible for mapping these cars  so that they do back fire ,I dont think we have a traffic police division anymore  who    years ago would have  stamped this anti social practice out   and I also notice texting and using a mobile phone while driving  is on the increase again  particularly  when drivers are heading home   after work ,

A brand new sporty car can pop and bang from the factory.

The main problem with noisy cars I have is the shit 'doof doof' music you hear at full blast most days at traffic lights and stop signs. How can people concentrate on driving listening to that racket at that volume?

All sound equipment in cars capable of playing any music produced after 1989 should be immediately confiscated in my view.

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

No! Optimum is buying a V8, obviously:

I was in Berlin a few years ago and there were a load of 'boy' racers dragging these and Audis. Ironically it sounded like the battle of Britain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

Jason is asking questions again, this time about what government is going to do about noisy cars, no mention of bikes at this point. As far as I'm aware, there is already a maximum decibel limit for car (and bike) exhausts, surely we don't need more legislation, just enforcement?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/new-laws-to-ban-noisy-vehicles/

Having said that, I don't mind a sporty exhaust note on a car, as long as it's not being driven around and around the block or deliberately being revved up. It just sounds like the usual grumpy old gits making out that the problem is bigger than it actually is. Ideal for Jason Seagull to make himself heard in the Keys again! 

There are rules but apparently they can’t even reliably measure sound levels because the bloke at the DOI who knew who to use the equipment has retired. That’s what was said when this topic popped up a while ago. 

This whole new debate came about not because of responsible sportscar or motorbike users, but thanks to Ford Fiasco driving boy racers with their shitty cherry bomb exhaust, fitted in the testosterone filled hope of impressing the local female population. Unfortunately the female who heard it was 76 year old Gladys down on south quay who phoned the police, the council and her MHKs. 

There is no need for anything new. Just tell the muppets in their shitcans to calm. 

• Like 1