The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Jumper the other night.

When it finished I thought 'that was ok' but since then I've been plagued by plot holes and things that just didn't make any sense and I now think it was shoite.

Watched Jumper the other night.

When it finished I thought 'that was ok' but since then I've been plagued by plot holes and things that just didn't make any sense and I now think it was shoite.

I thought Jumper would have been a far better movie if the two muppets playing the lead had been replaced by actors. They were appalling.

Went to see Wanted at the weekend. Decent action packed escapism nonsense.

I attempted to watch Ultraviolet last night after spotting it on my brothers shelf, well, it was absolute shite. Now my bro tends to have the same taste as me when it comes to movies, so I'll never forgive him for saying that he enjoyed it..... well worth avoiding.

Watched The Invasion & The Brave one over the weekend.

Both good, Invasion is modern take of Invasion of the body snatchers.

The brave one is a bit slow to get into but is pretty good too, it's briefly got Sayid from lost in it.

I watched Hancock at the weekend. I feel a tad aggrieved at the fact I paid twenty four fecking quid for two tickets in Leicester Square (Note: Never bitch about the Palace again) but the film was actually ok. When I'd heard of the film, I thought the premise was great and the trailer seemed to back that up but I'd been put off a bit by the reviews. For me though, the reviewers missed the point of the film.

I thought they could have spent more time with Hancock being an asshole before they jumped into his rehabilitation as some of those scenes were genuinely funny. Will Smith was very good in a role you wouldn't normally expect him to carry off. The plot took a slightly unexpected turn but not really to its detriment, although perhaps a little more backstory wouldn't have gone amiss. I enjoyed it, but with hindsight I would probably have waited for the DVD. Especially given I could have bought the bloody thing for the price of those two tickets and I'd not have had to suffer giggling foreigners behind me pebbledashing the audience with popcorn at every gag.

I feel a tad aggrieved at the fact I paid twenty four fecking quid for two tickets in Leicester Square (Note: Never bitch about the Palace again)

Crazy prices indeed. Went to two films on consecutive nights recently in the US. They did a "combo" ticket which included entry for 2, two medium drinks (with a refill each) and a large tub of popcorn (again with a refill if required). The cost was $11.95. Nice, big comfy seats with large cupholders too. I'd go more often here if we had similar services.

My kids watched 'The Reef' on Sky Premier on Monday. The most god-awful piece of shite I have ever had the misfortune to be subjected to; a third - no tenth - rate rip off of Finding Nemo and (the execrable) Shark Tale. Crappy character design, animation which looks like it was done on a PS1, appalling script and relatively well-known voice 'talents' obviously gritting their teeth and thinking of the money. Avoid at all costs.

On Sunday, however, we went to see Prince Caspian at the Palace. I thought the previous film was average and have a cordial dislike of C.S. Lewis's sledgehammer Christian allegories. Which makes it all the more surprising that I enjoyed the film a lot.

My wife (who is a long-time Lewis/Narnia fan) said at the end "It would have been nice to see a film that was based on the book..."

I'm currently wetting myself with excitement waiting for The Dark Knight.

Went to see Hancock today and was pleasantly surprised. It's not often that I can go and see a film these days not already knowing the majority of the plot and the film turned out to be all the better for it. Recommended.

The Mist

By co-incidence, I actually read the Stephen King short story for this a few weeks ago and didn't even realise they'd made a film of it until I saw the movie posters. I naturally expected it to be utter turd, as most King translations are but I was hugely pleased with it. I had some initial trepdiation about how the film would end as the story really wasn't a good ending and I remember being narked that I'd wasted my time reading 150 pages only to be given that. However, the film very closely follows the plot and scenery, much of the dialogue repeated and most of the characters are exactly how you expect them.

The ending though. Wow. It was only an additional three to four minutes of screenplay that weren't in the story but it was very brave, very well done and gets a massive thumbs up from me for bucking the trend of most modern Hollywood films. Bravo. Well worth a watch.

Watched Wall-E the other day.....

Thought the first half an hour or so was excellent, there's virtually no dialogue and it's a visual delight. The second half of the film is not so good. Seems to lack the usual humour you associate with Pixar films and has a very weak storyline. Still a very ambitious effort and the visiual effects and design are first class.