The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

Pu-239. It's an HBO film about a guy who gets a fatal dose of radiation in a Russian nuclear installation and then steals 100 gms of weapons-grade plutonium in order to provide a future for his wife and kid. Excellent film.

Pu-239. It's an HBO film about a guy who gets a fatal dose of radiation in a Russian nuclear installation and then steals 100 gms of weapons-grade plutonium in order to provide a future for his wife and kid. Excellent film.

I haven't seen the film but it sounds like one of those films where the science is laughable and would put me off it straigh away...

If you got a fatal dose of radiation - i.e. one where you know that it is going to be fatal - you are almost immediately incapacitated and die within days - see 'K19 - The Widowmaker' or Shadowmakers for realistic depictions of the horrible consequences, or think back to the Alexander Litvinienko case.

You can die from radiation exposure years later but it would generally be a cancer/leukaemia and you wouldn't know about it at the time.

No the guy is dying, and pretty quickly too. That's why he does what he does. How can you tell the science is laughable from my brief description? Seemed fairly realistic to me and his rapid deterioration is heart-breaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hungover on Tuesday morning so went to the IMAX, the only film on early was Speedracer.

Jesus wept! i am glad it came with health warnings about strobes and stuff! the film itself is so colourful and different and the effects were amazing. The Story itself was a bit pants but its a kids film so i was not expecting much.

It reminded me of a 21st century Tron!

If you get the chance i would say take your kids to watch this but if you or your kids suffer from strobe light fits then give it a big miss.

Watched 'Dead Mens Shoes' last night.

Wow

Words can't even describe ----- one of the best and most disturbing/darkest movies I've ever seen. Definitely not for the faint of heart. But I truthfully can't remember the last time I was so riveted by a movie.

Anyone else seen?

Watched 'Dead Mens Shoes' last night.

Wow

Words can't even describe ----- one of the best and most disturbing/darkest movies I've ever seen. Definitely not for the faint of heart. But I truthfully can't remember the last time I was so riveted by a movie.

Anyone else seen?

Check out "A Room for Romeo Brass" same director & lead actor, also very good as is Shane's "This is England".

Edited by victorian dad

This is a bit of a cross post from the "Last Non-Fiction Book You Read" thread, but it was watching this film that made me go and get the book.

Running With Scissors (IMDb link) was, in my opinion, superb. It is based on the teenage years of Augusten Burroughs. It is very hard not to give too much away, so I shall abbreviate what Sky said about it - vaguely on the lines of "This films makes The Royal Tenenbaums look like the most ordinary family on the planet".

It is very heavy going in places, but the cast is superb (Annette Benning, Joseph Feinnes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Patrick Wilson) and instead of pussy footing round the issue of mental illness, it kind of tackles it head on. IMDb only gave it a 6 - I honestly think it deserved more.

went to see The Incredible Hulk last night, and thought it was fooooking awsome!

Good to see it back on track now, after the god awful Ang Lee attempt.

Good dialogue, well paced Ed Norton is his usual miserable self, and the animation is well done!

• 2 weeks later...