The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

watched Pans Labrinth the other night, it certainly wasn't what I expected ; was expecting a weird fantasy movie and ended up being a bit shocked by the levels of violence and brutality throughout...definately worth a watch but not as fantastical as you may be led to believe.

We watched this a couple of weeks ago, I didn't really know what to expect, having not really heard that much about it other than it was Spanish and was a fantasy movie. It was quite a bit darker than I thought it would be, the young girls acting was brilliant and although the film was quite disturbing in places it was a great watch.

I'd had The Prestige sat around for ages and just never got round to watching it, but it popped up on Sky Premiere this week and I had nothing better to do on a Sunday than light a coal fire and watch it.

It's hard to describe too much of the film without giving too much away. It's beautifully shot, well acted and it's a great script. The story twists and turns as it goes along, giving you enough clues to work out what is really going on but only if you're paying attention. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't get the final twist completely, although as soon as they showed it I realised how painfully obvious it was and there was a bunch of foreshadowing. Annoyed to admit the person watching it with me came up with the right answer and I dismissed it. Bah.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and in a weird way, the more I've thought about it since, the more I think I feel I enjoyed it. It's a shame that with films like these, you can't really watch them more than a couple of times because it's driven by the mystery and the clues. Definitely recommended.

Oh, and I watched the new Futurama movie on Saturday night while we were waiting for the Hatton fight. It's Futurama, I don't need to say any more than that really. Miss it at your peril.

I'd had The Prestige sat around for ages and just never got round to watching it, but it popped up on Sky Premiere this week and I had nothing better to do on a Sunday than light a coal fire and watch it.

It's hard to describe too much of the film without giving too much away. It's beautifully shot, well acted and it's a great script. The story twists and turns as it goes along, giving you enough clues to work out what is really going on but only if you're paying attention. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't get the final twist completely, although as soon as they showed it I realised how painfully obvious it was and there was a bunch of foreshadowing. Annoyed to admit the person watching it with me came up with the right answer and I dismissed it. Bah.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and in a weird way, the more I've thought about it since, the more I think I feel I enjoyed it. It's a shame that with films like these, you can't really watch them more than a couple of times because it's driven by the mystery and the clues. Definitely recommended.

Oh, and I watched the new Futurama movie on Saturday night while we were waiting for the Hatton fight. It's Futurama, I don't need to say any more than that really. Miss it at your peril.

Cheers for the recommendation, I saw it advertised on Sky Movies this week. It's Christian Bale isn't it? Will Sky+ it tonight.

Um, ok - not a cinema release but watched "Boy A" last night on C4.

I knew it wouldn't be easy viewing but stuck with it. Glad I did, when I'm finished living out of cardboard boxes (moving house, not homeless..) I'll buy the book. Stunning, moving performance by Andrew Garfield; Peter Mullan was in predictably fine form too.

Had this on Sky+ and eventually watched it last night.

Total agreement, Andrew Garfield's performance was quite brilliant. Very close to the knuckle with the bulger murderers getting released soon. Great script and gave me mixed emotions about something I never really thought would.

The Prestige - What an excellent film.

In a way I'm kind of glad that you guys told me about the possibility of a twist that was to come. It doesn't become apparent that there will be a twist or that there is something to look out for, until at least half way through the movie. However once it gets going and after the cameo by Mr. Bowie things really start to pick up. Great performances by Hugh Jackman and Michael Caine I thought.

Thanks for the heads up.

For those who have not yet managed to catch it, it should be on until Friday evenings on Sky Movies, and it's possibly on Sky Anytime, so you can watch it whenever you like.

In a way I'm kind of glad that you guys told me about the possibility of a twist that was to come. It doesn't become apparent that there will be a twist or that there is something to look out for, until at least half way through the movie.

If you rewatch it, there are clues about it right throughout the film. They cover some of them at the end but there are others. Kinda hard to discuss around it without spoiling things so I'll just shut up and say once again what a great film it was.

Resident evil 3 - One of the Best films i seen to date <3

Has everything i expected and wanted.

Gore.

Milla jovovich.

Guns.

Zombies.

Perfection.

Ending my god wound me up.... Hope theres gunna be a fourth in the films.

You thought it was good? I thought it was a pile of gash to be perfectly honest, which is a shame as I really enjoyed the first two. It just seemed to be lacking in thought and atmosphere. Even seemed like half the Zombies had been going to Parkour lessons in between eating brains.....

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Jacob's Ladder last night for the first time ever (even though it's an old film, first released in 1990).

It's a total headfuck and thoroughly miserable and depressing, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Mrs Infusion even stopped watching My Chemical Romance videos on her laptop to watch the film instead, which is a pretty high recommendation, since she's usually far too busy moistening her knickers over the idiotic girly ponce "Gerard Way" to pay much attention to anything I'm up to.

post-10141-1198427475_thumb.jpg

Jacob's Ladder is my favouritest film in the world. Excellent choice. Try watching it high.

I think that'd almost certainly lead to a complete neural overload.

It was bad enough watching it a bit pissed.

At least the ending cleared it up nicely enough though, and I didn't feel cheated either, as it actually made perfect sense. "Stay" did the same thing whereby the entire film is basically the main character's dying hallucination, but somehow made it seem a bit cheap and gimmicky. Jacob's Ladder presented the same basic concept (long before Stay was released of course) but made it poignant and meaningful.

Tonight's film is "Things We Lost In The Fire."

It's not exactly an upbeat little number, dealing as it does with a wife and children facing up to the death of their husband/father, and a recovering/relapsing heroin addict coming on board as a strange sort of surrogate father, as he was a lifelong friend of the dead man.

Superb performances across the board, not least from the infinitely brilliant Benicio Del Toro and a surprisingly effective Halle Berry, along with a a wholly competent supporting cast as well.

The ending isn't exactly "feel good," but it does offer the hope of future promise, healing, and redemption.

Best film I've watched for a while.

These dudes can probably explain it better than me:

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/t/things_we.html

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../710180302/1023