The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

This Is England -

Wasn't expecting much from this film, but was very pleasantly surprised.

The reviews did pick up the flaws in it, however, they also called out that it rose above those mistakes to stake its claim as a seriously good film.

Wins bonus points from me for decent Northern accents (although I'm Lancashire rather than Yorkshire), but mainly for managing to genuinely portray a believable understanding of where skinheads came from and how someone might become a part of them.

It's not a sympathetic portrayal, but it does have a crack at understanding it.

Moreover, Stephen Graham's performance is dangerously brilliant, it's possibly the best "insane" characterisation I've ever seen.

Seek out British films everyone, we're really quite good at it!

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/t/this_england.html

Based on a recommendation that was on here ages ago I downloaded Inside I'm Dancing (cos I couldn't find it in the video shop) Very good movie - LOL funny in parts with suberb acting. James McAvoy is excellent and nails the accent 100%.

I went to the cinema to see 30 Days Of Night tonight, and it was brilliant, but for all the wrong reasons.

I was really looking forwards to it as I had enjoyed Steve Niles' graphic novels. The three books are incredibly dark and brilliantly illustrated. Anyway, back to the film. The relatively unknown cast (Josh Hartnett aside) was more than credible, as was the cinematography. The slasher type gore was brilliantly executed and well filmed too.

Where the film fell down (billing itself as a horror) , is that it was actually laugh out loud hilarious. As a horror, it does not rate, but as a really good fun 'B' Movie, it really was brilliant, and well worth a watch.

Shoot em up:

If you are looking for a film with great scriptwriting and dialogue then this film is not for you. If you want an hour and a half of an angry person shooting other people in the most bizzare ways possible then you will love it.

I had no misconceptions watching this and just wanted a film that was not very taxing on the brain, the film lacked so many things but was good to watch and have a laugh.

I can see this becoming a drinking game soon, every time some one dies you down a drink. Within the first 10 mins you would be hammered!

worth a watch in my opinion.

I watched Eastern Promises at the cinema in Manchester on Wednesday. Not quite what I was expecting, I thought it was more action driven but it was an excellent drama. Mortenson in particular was commanding. The violence in parts was very graphic, but not gratuitously so. The kiss at the end was unnecessary though, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My lovely daughter suggested we get a horror film out on Saturday, so I let her choose one because Im a little out of touch....OMFG! It was called Hostel 2 or something like that, there were bits where I just couldnt watch, it was a bit gruesome to say the least - quite liked the story though and mostly thought the film was ace. (still having nightmares though)

Um, ok - not a cinema release but watched "Boy A" last night on C4.

I knew it wouldn't be easy viewing but stuck with it. Glad I did, when I'm finished living out of cardboard boxes (moving house, not homeless..) I'll buy the book. Stunning, moving performance by Andrew Garfield; Peter Mullan was in predictably fine form too.