Go On Then, What Are You Kistening To

Bananaman

Oh, Joni....don't get me started. Agree with that Quilp. Her 1980's albums were late blooms (There's yer poetry again see ?) in a wonderful career. I also love the double live recording with orchestra that she did. Her original version of Woodstock is one of the greatest songs ever written and performed. A eulogy to a generation.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Chinahand said:

The lyrics ...

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone"

... have been in the borderlands between conscious and sub-conscious for the last few days.

Isn't the brain a wonderful thing.

Joni Mitchell never lies.

• 2 months later...

If you appreciate music in general from the past 60 years and don't mind a very wide, eclectic selection rather than the heavily formatted "standard" stations that play the same stuff repeatedly, the old lady is definitely worth a listen. www.radiocaroline.co.uk    and click on the main album channel. 

Be warned though, you will hear a lot of unfamiliar stuff. I tend to think of it a bit like a Radio 3 of the modern era.

Edited by woolley

Halfway through a bottle of Jameson's and the forlorn melancholia of Chet Baker's doleful horn softly colours the wee hours. 'Let's Get Lost' - soulful stuff. Nothing 'manufactured' about the recordings of the era, it went down in half a dozen takes, as it was. 2 mics over the kit, one on the kick, separate mics for everyone else, early experimental stereo, dry as a bone mix. Proper woody ring to the double-tracked piano.

Yeah.

• Like 3

If you can get hold of a copy I'd highly recommend Chet's last live concert recording. I think it was in Copenhagen or perhaps Germany, but with his last puff he seemed to find even more beauty in the material he'd made his own. Same with some of his contemporaries: Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper; who made some of their finest recordings towards the end when their health was shot.  

• Like 1