The Lord Street Old Bus Station Site Saga Continues

bishbashbosh

5 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK Here’s a Facebook type question. 

I am going away for the weekend in a couple of weeks on the boat as a foot passenger but need to drive into Douglas  ( obvs) from Ramsey to park the car near the Sea Terminal.

Have done this previously but have been unable to park my car in the pay and display car park next to the Sea Terminal due to no space being available and fortunately found a rare space in the Bottleneck car park to park for a couple of days.

With this free for all in the land at the back of the Barbary Coast has this freed up pay for parking spaces in the car park to the right of the Sea terminal?

Thanks everyone 😃

I have never seen that pay and display full.

If you are getting there and it’s full that would suggest you are going middle of the day?  If so, just get the bus or a taxi

On 2/7/2024 at 4:45 PM, Two-lane said:

The time limit expired last year. If the DoI takes possession they will have to do something with it - like find a developer.

I assume they are desperately trying not to upset the not-so-current developer, so that something/anything gets built sometime/anytime.

But still - seven cinemas,,,,, ?

Maybe they could build a bus station on the site.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK Here’s a Facebook type question. 

I am going away for the weekend in a couple of weeks on the boat as a foot passenger but need to drive into Douglas  ( obvs) from Ramsey to park the car near the Sea Terminal.

Have done this previously but have been unable to park my car in the pay and display car park next to the Sea Terminal due to no space being available and fortunately found a rare space in the Bottleneck car park to park for a couple of days.

With this free for all in the land at the back of the Barbary Coast has this freed up pay for parking spaces in the car park to the right of the Sea terminal?

Thanks everyone 😃

Why not park in there for free and save yourself a few quid? I left my car in there for about 4 days when I went away last year. No issues. Was on the early boat so knew there would be spaces then late boat back so knew I wouldn't be blocked in

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Why not park in there for free and save yourself a few quid? I left my car in there for about 4 days when I went away last year. No issues. Was on the early boat so knew there would be spaces then late boat back so knew I wouldn't be blocked in

I left my car in there for 4 days. When I got back a family from Castleford had moved in. They had overflowed from their encampment further along. 

17 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I have never seen that pay and display full.

If you are getting there and it’s full that would suggest you are going middle of the day?  If so, just get the bus or a taxi

Thanks but the taxi/ bus thing isn’t an option due to dropping off / picking up dog from kennels to and from the trip to and from the boat

Have tried to get in that car park  before but it has always been full but that was pre the  “Barbary Coast free car park” opening.

Cost isn’t the issue. More than willing to pay to secure a
 parking spot near the Sea Terminal to get on and get off the boat. I’ll do a reccy beforehand to check on the pay and display thing near the Steamie offices and procure a bucketfull of pound coins to feed the machine for our weekend parking

42 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thanks but the taxi/ bus thing isn’t an option due to dropping off / picking up dog from kennels to and from the trip to and from the boat

Have tried to get in that car park  before but it has always been full but that was pre the  “Barbary Coast free car park” opening.

Cost isn’t the issue. More than willing to pay to secure a
 parking spot near the Sea Terminal to get on and get off the boat. I’ll do a reccy beforehand to check on the pay and display thing near the Steamie offices and procure a bucketfull of pound coins to feed the machine for our weekend parking

You can pay by card.

Just drop the dog off the day before and get the bus.

It seems like you are creating an issue when there isn’t one 

10 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

You can pay by card.

Just drop the dog off the day before and get the bus.

It seems like you are creating an issue when there isn’t one 

I’m not creating an issue just asking for advice for which I thank you.

I take it you don’t have a dog!

I take it you don't have any friends or family, whom could drop you off and pick you up. Talking hypertheticals, who would be libel or supposed to carry insurance on the site incase of damage or injury. DOI for failing to secure site, as it has been pointed out the time for work has elapsed so will it  revert to a DOI problem. Or still down to developer as no formal hand back has taken place, just wondering for a friend who has no injury but you can never be to careful . Where there's blame there's a claim. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Talking hypertheticals, who would be libel or supposed to carry insurance on the site incase of damage or injury.

This is a very pertinent question, particularly since the area in question is not formally/officially a car park (despite being filled with cars, all of which might be subject to damage, or might damage something or someone while moving around the area).

17 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

This is a very pertinent question, particularly since the area in question is not formally/officially a car park (despite being filled with cars, all of which might be subject to damage, or might damage something or someone while moving around the area).

Most car parks have disclaimer notices.  I wonder how the argument would run that anyone parking there has not been invited, far less paid a fee,  so no duty of care?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Most car parks have disclaimer notices.  I wonder how the argument would run that anyone parking there has not been invited, far less paid a fee,  so no duty of care?

Those notices are worth less than the cost of a sign. You can’t just escape legal liability because you put a sign up. 

‘Well yes I did stab that guy to death but, to be fair, I have a sign at home that says I’m a murderer, so it’s not my fault’ 

We had a touch of this with a H&S course, a person was hit by a forklift in a private  car park. Even tho it was private and fenced there were gaps and people used it as a short cut. The owners were sued for injuries and the person won as it was down to the owner to insure the access was restricted.

32 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Those notices are worth less than the cost of a sign. You can’t just escape legal liability because you put a sign up. 

‘Well yes I did stab that guy to death but, to be fair, I have a sign at home that says I’m a murderer, so it’s not my fault’ 

Stand to be corrected, but that may be true for personal injury, but not other damage. 

ETA and your liability has to be proven. 

Edited by Gladys