Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Was Theresa cope talking about moving health to a hybrid private model?  Allanson was quick to interject!

Ms Cope was very close to saying that the current model for Healthcare is unsustainable. Not quite in those words, but she definitley gave the impression she knows that we have to look at other models, at some point.

To me, Allinson was too quick to interject and dismiss her. I don't believe that we can afford to have a Treasury Minister who has a totally closed mind on such a critical question. 

Edited by Nellie

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Towards the end of the broadcast Teresa Cope said that even after their increased budget, Manx Care will still not have sufficient money to pay for a full public healthcare system. She went on to say that she was open to a “hybrid model”, meaning a combination of public and private funding. As soon as she said this, Dr Allinson cut her off and said that there would be no changes to the system part-way through this Tynwald. He seems to be determined that all of the money for Manx Care will come from the public purse.

If the proposed NHS Levy was set, say, at 3% and was paid on every pound earned, then a resident earning £50k would have to pay the Treasury an additional c£1,500 annually. If people are unhappy with the temporary 2% increase in the tax rate, how would they feel about a permanent NHS Levy on all of their income/ wealth which has many times the financial impact, and no guarantees that waiting lists will actually improve? I suspect even after the hefty NHS Levy is imposed, Mr Teare will still have to continue to pay for his private health insurance, as many others will too.

Exactly, makes you think about Private Medical Insurance that many people have as a work benefit or pay separately for. 

The NHS clearly doesn't work anymore.  I honestly fail to see how throwing more money at a broken notion will make it better.  It's like having a banger car - you can get one cheap and be lucky for a bit, but eventually you'll end up throwing more money at it than it's worth to keep it running.  The key is to know when to dump it. 

Unless they can recruit more staff (which they appear to not be able to currently, even with paying them extra) then services will not improve and waiting lists will not reduce. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Exactly, makes you think about Private Medical Insurance that many people have as a work benefit or pay separately for. 

The NHS clearly doesn't work anymore.  I honestly fail to see how throwing more money at a broken notion will make it better.  It's like having a banger car - you can get one cheap and be lucky for a bit, but eventually you'll end up throwing more money at it than it's worth to keep it running.  The key is to know when to dump it. 

Unless they can recruit more staff (which they appear to not be able to currently, even with paying them extra) then services will not improve and waiting lists will not reduce. 

We must have thousands of people paying NI and also paying for private healthcare, I know it's a benefit but still part of the salary package.

Cope suffers the same closed world view as the rest of govt. Sending a friend's and family survey to select departments for feedback and reporting it as an overview of the whole system is disingenuous.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Flood risk models consider tides

People don’t want to hear it.

They have just decided that it’s a bad idea with very little info, and can’t be arsed doing the research.

The fact that a Ramsey commissioners actively trying to stop what is positive investment in the town doesn’t help.

• Haha 1

Am I allowed to add that Beth Espey is great at these kind of broadcasts . Just listened back to it on MR and Cannan is such an arrogant person and the pressure is showing. Lots of holes in the budget and all seemingly based on the ‘PLAN’ but seemingly they’ve not reassessed it recently. Zero mention of reducing Government head count. Might want to start with Cabinet office . 433 !! What the hell do they all do. Genuine question .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

People don’t want to hear it.

They have just decided that it’s a bad idea with very little info, and can’t be arsed doing the research.

The fact that a Ramsey commissioners actively trying to stop what is positive investment in the town doesn’t help.

Yes I know. They prefer random opinion over fact. It's what the moanin line is all about. Sadly Manx forums is blighted with the same ignorance.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Am I allowed to add that Beth Espey is great at these kind of broadcasts . Just listened back to it on MR and Cannan is such an arrogant person and the pressure is showing. Lots of holes in the budget and all seemingly based on the ‘PLAN’ but seemingly they’ve not reassessed it recently. Zero mention of reducing Government head count. Might want to start with Cabinet office . 433 !! What the hell do they all do. Genuine question .  

I don’t think Mrs Dan Davies would be advocating for a CS headcount reduction- I can think of approximately 85,000 reasons per annum she might not mention it.

Other than that she’s usually very good 

• Like 1

It was a bit rich Dr Allinson saying a lot of the complaints weren’t real and it was just negative comments from anonymous accounts on social media and not what people actually thought - when pretty much the whole (reasonably diverse) panel that had been assembled seemed to agree that it was a bad budget and that government was generally being tone deaf. The chamber of commerce representative also said that 96% of its members who had responded about the budget didn’t support it. John Webster is reasonably active on X and isn’t anonymous and was an economic adviser to IOM Government (admittedly a long time ago) who does both know his stuff and have good government and business contacts within his network to discuss these sort of things with. 

Anon commentators don’t carry much credibility and Allinson is right there but many often do know what they’re talking about, or have spoken to qualified professionals not just made stuff up to negatively attack government, and are often relaying the feedback they’ve received from people who have relevant knowledge. Also Theresa Cope made a near admission that they will be privatizing more health services even after this and as such that the 2% extra tax might not really make much difference. So let’s wait and see what Dr Allinsons NHS tax is going to yield if they think that charging people a premium to receive the most basic of services (ie, acceptable hospital, dental and other essential health treatment) is the way to go when they can’t stop incompetents going out and buying 80 odd brand new minibuses that never get used, or spending £25 million on a promenade that’s an embarrassment, or £100M on a new ferry terminal that’s at least three times over budget. It seems all these things are more important than healthcare and deserve a priority call on people’s taxes before we then have to pay extra taxes for what our taxes really should cover. 

• Like 9

Cope really slipped up.  Time for our politicians to be pressing this issue before Allinsons new health tax comes in and completely cripples the island.   

Was the creation of Manxcare and the mysterious lack of minutes really sowing the seeds for the privatisation of our health care system?

• Like 1

If the health service is is partly or fully privatised, the potential one-off costs for the individual are so high that annual insurance is essential.

In what way is a partly/fully privatised health service more efficient? It is all just money.

Well, I suppose:

1. some poor people will be left to die on the street

2. some people will not be able to get insured, and will be left to die on the street

6 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If the health service is is partly or fully privatised, the potential one-off costs for the individual are so high that annual insurance is essential.

In what way is a partly/fully privatised health service more efficient? It is all just money.

Well, I suppose:

1. some poor people will be left to die on the street

2. some people will not be able to get insured, and will be left to die on the street

That street is usually by M&S - seems to happen every week