Are the supermarkets taking us for a ride ?

Fred the shred

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

It was never scheduled to be on the Heysham daytime route yesterday. The Ben is scheduled to do daytimes at the moment. It did the evening sailing, as scheduled.

Yes I get that, but why? When you get a new car you are out in it all the time. Its bigger, comfier, the flagship

4 hours ago, Passing Time said:

As each passing day goes on, it's beginning to look as though they've been sold a pup...

I do wonder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

It was never scheduled to be on the Heysham daytime route yesterday. The Ben is scheduled to do daytimes at the moment. It did the evening sailing, as scheduled.

Isn't it the opposite way round? Im sure it was the Manxman doing days and the Ben doing nights.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, Fred the shred said:

Someone is making a lot of money and the public are suffering.

That's what happens with big business, and the bigger they are the more they're only in it for the money.

I'd be much more surprised if these types of businesses, who, regardless of what their marketing departments would have you believe, don't give a flying fuck about anything but profit, were not to use the current situation with inflation to hide a bit of opportunist profiteering.

Don't get me wrong, I shop in a supermarket every week. But if time and opportunity permits, I'll buy as much as I can directly from the food producer, invariably with a much better quality and cheaper product.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Their margins are too tight for the model to work here.

I'm not so sure Woolley? If Tesco can make the small local market work and it can be expected that Aldi would take, perhaps, 50% of Tescos customers, then surely Aldi would be in a good position to compete???

Edited by Kopek

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

I'm not so sure Woolley? If Tesco can make the small local market work and it can be expected that Aldi would take, perhaps, 50% of Tescos customers, then surely Aldi would be in a good position to compete???

They work on considerably tighter margins than Tesco, Kopek. Also they have a much more restricted range. Maybe we should be careful what we wish for. If, as you suggest, Aldi came along and took 50% of Tesco's customers it could make Tesco unprofitable here. The ramifications of that could be extremely negative.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Yes I get that, but why? When you get a new car you are out in it all the time. Its bigger, comfier, the flagship

I do wonder.

Because they've said they are working up by first running the day crew for a month, then the night crew for a month, and easing Manxman in to iron out any problems with personnel or equipment before she takes on the full schedule at the end of October. Seems perfectly sensible to me. Of course they might be lying and you know better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I commute between Island and UK so easy to do price comparisons - Shoprite usually add between 20-30% to Sainsbury's prices - they also don't carry the cheaper lines found at Sainsbury's - (eg coffee £3.95 in UK = £4.50, the smoked salmon £2.75-£2.95 becomes £4 on Island, likewise in the ready meals) - in the UK I find I use Lidl for a fair amount(eg their coffee is abt £2.75 abt £1 cheaper than Sainsburys, they are cheaper than M&S and tend to have a wider range of European style cheese etc, but quality of fresh fruit/veg are considerably lower - it is the stuff like non-food household goods they have forced the prices down - possibly also in meat but I don't eat this so can't compare but judging from the shelf space allocated they must do well. Edited by Frances
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, Fred the shred said:

We are told that inflation has leveled out...

This is a very big misunderstanding of the inflation rate: Inflation for the 12 months to August 2023 is 5.4%. This means that consumer prices are around 5.4% higher in August 2023 than in August 2022. In particular, food and non-alcoholic drinks in the Isle of Man are up 14.0% in August 2023 than in August 2022.

This inflation rate - 5.4% - is higher than at any time from January 2012 to November 2021. This is not a low inflation rate! It remains very very high!

Think of it this way: something that was selling for £1.37 in July 2021 increased in price to £1.52 in July 2022, and to £1.61 in July 2023. A (future) low inflation rate means that the price will stay close to £1.61, it does not mean that the price will return to £1.37.

(Each of the numbers/statistics that I've quoted comes from the IOM Government's inflation report here: https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/statistics-isle-of-man/inflation/ )

52 minutes ago, Josem said:

Think of it this way: something that was selling for £1.37 in July 2021 increased in price to £1.52 in July 2022, and to £1.61 in July 2023. A (future) low inflation rate means that the price will stay close to £1.61, it does not mean that the price will return to £1.37.

(Each of the numbers/statistics that I've quoted comes from the IOM Government's inflation report here: https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/statistics-isle-of-man/inflation/ )

Although you are correct in theory, at the end of the day, prices will settle based on demand. So, it is possible that the £1.37 price may return.