Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Why would you do that? 

First of all I said it was on a lighter note.

Because you don’t think they are more worthy than your chosen cause.

Think daytime ITV adverts,

Children who have cleft lips, or can’t access clean water without a five mile walk, donkeys who are having their backs broken by the weight of what they have to carry.

People who need guide dogs. The list is endless.

I made an online donation to a charity in memory of a family member who died recently. Ticked every box to try and ensure this was a one off thing, but they still get to me by post and email.

Worse still  recently I got some unsolicited Christmas cards to send out ( about 8 of them ) from people who paint them with their feet because they have no arms, asking for £11 for the set.

Some of them cards are very nice but it’s not like the artists are walking 5 miles to get clean water. What do I do?

Send them their £11 - no fucking way I didn’t ask for these cards

Send them back - no that would cost me postage.

Think what I will do is send them 2 or 3 quid and send the best ones out as cards and tell the foot painter people not to bother me anymore. From the accompanying leaflet it doesn’t seem they are in particular poverty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

First of all I said it was on a lighter note.

Because you don’t think they are more worthy than your chosen cause.

Think daytime ITV adverts,

Children who have cleft lips, or can’t access clean water without a five mile walk, donkeys who are having their backs broken by the weight of what they have to carry.

People who need guide dogs. The list is endless.

I made an online donation to a charity in memory of a family member who died recently. Ticked every box to try and ensure this was a one off thing, but they still get to me by post and email.

Worse still  recently I got some unsolicited Christmas cards to send out ( about 8 of them ) from people who paint them with their feet because they have no arms, asking for £11 for the set.

Some of them cards are very nice but it’s not like the artists are walking 5 miles to get clean water. What do I do?

Send them their £11 - no fucking way I didn’t ask for these cards

Send them back - no that would cost me postage.

Think what I will do is send them 2 or 3 quid and send the best ones out as cards and tell the foot painter people not to bother me anymore. From the accompanying leaflet it doesn’t seem they are in particular poverty.

It is putting a blue counter in a box to vote for your favoured local cause out if three, that's all. 

Edited by Gladys

The Co-Op Community Charity giving is much more generous than the Tesco one which is capped at £1,500.00. The Co-Op donation is based on sales of Co-Op branded goods and a percentage of each sale goes to your choice of the three charities they are supporting. This only works if you are a Co-Op member, if you aren't a member the money is divided equally between all three charities

Its a very easy way for charities to get money and the sums can be well over £10,000.00 per charity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katman said:

The Co-Op Community Charity giving is much more generous than the Tesco one which is capped at £1,500.00. The Co-Op donation is based on sales of Co-Op branded goods and a percentage of each sale goes to your choice of the three charities they are supporting. This only works if you are a Co-Op member, if you aren't a member the money is divided equally between all three charities

Its a very easy way for charities to get money and the sums can be well over £10,000.00 per charity.

Tesco have lower prices though so you need less food banks

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Send them money and tell them not to bother you anymore. Let us know how that works out. You're telling them you have a conscience. Never a good idea.

• Like 1

I see that great sage of Douglas North ………. John Wannaburgh MHK has been making his views known on the NPM (MR), how there was no legislation to prevent Tesco taking over Shoprite. If there were, would it have made a difference? Legislation is made, but it’s badly drafted with loopholes. 

At present the HoK is obsessing itself with Assisting Dying and removing the Bishop. Other notable proposed legislation will get kicked into the long grass as time will run out.

Would legislation in this case have made a difference? If Shoprite were in financial trouble, would IOMG have bailed them out? 

No doubt, the OFT legislation needs updating. This might be the kind of boring thing that would be picked up by an MHK if they weren’t grandstanding with their pet issues. If the fear is that Tesco prices will go up due to a lack in competition, it should be noted that Shoprite didn’t really compete on pricing. Generally the Tesco products I see now in the Shoprite outlets are cheaper than the past Shoprite offerings. Did anybody compare the cost of Sainsbury’s items here and across? I did, as I have the opportunity of shopping in what I would call my local Sainsbury’s superstore across. What might drive prices up here is the costs of bringing produce over in the ferry. Rather than thinking of Government intervention in the form of OFT, the Government should be thinking about possible intervention in freight costs for Tesco, if the ferry company is not going to be truly “arms length”. 

• Like 1

I know several people who have contacted the OFT seeking assistance  or advice regarding how  to claim against easy jet cancellations ,  some of them have been waiting weeks for an acknowledgement  or even a reply  to their communication  ,

Tesco will now, after government be the biggest employer on the isle of man ,so I cant see anyone  having the balls to take them on , however they have said the national prices for goods in their stores in the UK   will be the same  in the isle of man which is to be welcomed , cant argue with that 

• Like 1

The OFT's reaction to the Manx Gas fiasco and other big businesses taking the piss tell you all you need to know. 

They're not interested in taking on big business, they don't have the balls, the talent or the legislation to do so. Far easier to offer common sense advice on not employing someone who turns up unexpectedly in an English reg van and offers to tarmac your drive for £100 cash as long as you pay upfront.

All while the likes of MG, MT etc. are robbing far greater amounts from far more people with impunity. 

• Like 3